This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

With all the racial tension amid our country right now, what does Black America look like? Is Black America divided or are we more powerful now than 20 years ago? In the business world, in the technology world, in politics — how powerful are we?

In the past recent years, the black community has been thriving and flourishing more than ever. Just in the last year, many accomplishments have been made and in return has played a part towards the growth of Black America. We are now stepping into a new era where African Americans are coming out on top.

When looking through a political lens, African Americans have been making huge accomplishments and opening America’s eyes to what things are possible for our future as a country; even if those ideas don’t follow traditional ways. In the last few years, we have received our first Black first lady, who has not only made a huge impact on the country through her husband’s term but has continued to create change in all communities but most importantly the black community. Her work has inspired people like Ayanna Pressley, who has recently been elected the first black congressman in Massachusetts. As a congresswoman, Pressley has already started to put forth plans for change. With these women and more having positions in our government, the future for Black America looks brighter than ever.

In 2002, actress Halle Berry won Best Actress for her role in Monster’s Ball. Her win marked a huge accomplishment for the black community and Black America as a whole. That achievement was the spark for black excellence in entertainment.

Just last year, Ryan Coogler made history with his film Black Panther with it being the first all African American casted movie to make over one billion in box offices. Queen B has also made history as the first black woman to headline Coachella but what else is new when it comes to the queen herself. In recent news, rising star Marsai Martin has also made history for all the “little” people out there by becoming the youngest black executive producer at the age of 14, with the film Little. All these accomplishments and many more have paved a way for future generations who plan on breaking the status quo.

Barriers have been broken in other areas such as medicine with Dr. Patrice Harris being the first black woman elected president of the American Medical Association (AMA). Also in business, Dr. Shayla Creer and Robert McCray have been deemed the first to produce a black-owned alkaline water brand and have it sold at Walmart. Achievements such as these are just small presentations of how Black America plans to flip the script.

So with all these accomplishments being done by more than extraordinary black people, we are still left with the one question. What is Black America?

Black America is simply the black community challenging the traditional ways of America to make African Americans feel like they are properly represented respectively and effectively. Steven Biko once said, “Being black is not a matter of pigmentation; being black is a reflection of mental attitude.”

So with that, I have one question for you. How are you going to impact your Black America?

Skyler is a bubbly and vibrant soul She is a Mass Communications student at the illustrious Norfolk State University She enjoys shopping and spending time with her friends and family She dreams of one day moving to New York City and writing for a big time magazine