This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Let’s take some time to rethink the statement, “It’s just Instagram.” With more than 1 billion monthly active users as of June 2018 (Statista), Instagram trails right behind Facebook as one of the most popular social networking sites in the world. Crafting the perfect Instagram  account can prove to be very beneficial.

Having a solid Instagram account can increase your credibility in your career field, help you promote or launch your business, promote other businesses and get free stuff in return, help you network (In a creative’s world Instagram can be just a relaxed LinkedIn), or even land a guy. Social media has definitely secretly become the eHarmony for our generation. How many success stories have we seen go done in the DM?

So how do you take your Instagram to the next level? Some key things to consider are camera quality, photo quality, aesthetic, and even marketing.

Instagram is all about photographs! The first step to having quality pictures is having a quality camera. Of course its not reasonable to buy, let alone carry around some high tech, high priced, bulky professional camera around on a day to day basis. Look into enhancing the camera you already own and already use the most — the one on your phone!

You can purchase lens attachments, as well as ring light attachments and phone cases with LED Lighting to improve to quality of your phone camera! Check out some options below.

Wide Angle & Macro Camera Lens Kit for iPhone and Most Android Mobiles Phones

Mini Ring Light for Phone

Phone Case w/ LED Lighting

You’d be surprised how well you can take a picture from drab to fab after some simple edits. Don’t simply rely on Instagram filters to spice up your pictures. Finesse your photos with some of these apps.

Facetune – A photo editing app that allows you to smooth the look of your photos

VSCO – This app gives a vaiety of high quality photo filters that will make your picture look sleek and professional.

lomoGRAPH+ – Gives you access to unique filters and adds a timestamp for a vintage effect. 

MolyCam -Gives you access to tons of retro filters.

Once you’ve gotten your content the way you want it, be sure to find your own unique aesthetic. Whether you post three pictures at a time, or categorize your posts according to color — try to have a cohesive profile. Your posts shouldn’t’t just look good separately but also as a unit.

Taking your Instagram to the next level requires strategy! You have to stay consistent with your posts! Don’t flood the timeline with fire then go missing for two months. Also, be mindful of the times you are posting. According to research at Expert Voice, here are the perfect times to post according to the days of the week:

Sunday: 5:00 p.m.

Monday: 7:00 p.m. & 10:00 p.m.

Tuesday: 3:00 a.m. & 10:00 p.m.

Wednesday: 5:00 p.m.

Thursday: 7:00 a.m. & 11:00 p.m.

Friday: 1:00 a.m. & 8:00 p.m.

Saturday: 12:00 a.m. & 2:00 a.m.

These small tips will definitely help give your Instagram a boost. I hope to see you on my explore page soon!

Diamond Cinclair Broughton is a sophmore, Strategic Communications major from Hampton, VA. 
A free spirit who was born and raised in California, Chere is currently a student at Norfolk State University. At school, you are likely to find her studying mass communications -- but she is a firm believer in the expansion of knowledge in all areas. A strong advocate for Black women, equality, and social justice, Chere hopes to use her writing to further answer her call to activism.