Sing and Dance to These 10 Musicals on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Musicals and Netflix: the best power duo of all time! The well-known streaming platform is home to a surprisingly large number of musical movies from traditional song-and-dance flicks to musical documentaries. As diverse as these options are, they have one thing in common: incredible storytelling through the power of music. So if you’re looking for the kind of entertainment you can sing and dance along to, you’ve definitely in luck.

Glee

Before becoming a cultural phenomenon, Glee was just an eccentric comedy about a group of high school misfits in the small-town of Ohio who form a glee club under the instruction of a very impractical high school teacher.

Homecoming: A Film by Beyoncé

This narrative sparks a highlight on and off the stage of the creative handle behind Queen Bey’s 2018 Coachella performance, bringing her inventive work to new light that will certainly have you binging for days.

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

If you don’t know by now, not all musicals are filled with all smiles and sparkles, look no further than this gothic horror with yours truly, Johnny Depp. After being released from prison on a wrongful conviction, a vengeful barber sets out for bloody revenge on those who harmed him and his family, with a little help from his gleefully violent landlady.

Purple Rain

Prince stars in this rock music as a Minneapolis-based musician whose career and relationship with an alluring singer is threatened by a rising new sensation. For all you Prince fans, this musical phenomenon will have you singing and dancing like it’s 1999.

Burlesque

What do you get when you have Cher as a theater proprietor and Christina Aguilera as a small-town girl with big dreams? Add in some extremely seductive musical and dance numbers… Welcome to Burlesque.

Gaga: Five Foot Two

Dive into Lady Gaga’s behind-the-scenes documentary as it follows much more than her music career alone. Filmmakers shadow Lady Gaga as she copes with heartbreak, a medical crisis, and prepping to release new music and Super Bowl performance.

The Music of Silence

Based on the life of Andrea Bocelli, this heartwarming biopic follows the life of a blind young man with an astounding voice who navigates his way to the top of the opera world.

Corpse Bride

This Tim Burton animation tells the story of Victor Von Dort, a man who accidentally proposes to a corpse and not to his flesh and blood human bride. Talk about getting cold feet, might as well marry a corpse instead. 

Mikyah Henderson is a young collegiette woman who is not hesitant to take her creativity to newer limits. As a sophomore General English major at Norfolk State University, she discovers Lyman Beecher Brooks Library as her home along with letting her creations on paper take flight. After being a drama club member at her public high school in Highland Springs, Virginia, she learned that it is okay to be unique and to never let stereotypes defy anything that her future will foretell. One day, she hopes to own her own practice as a Family/ Marriage Counselor for relationships in need of guidance and support as well as taking her love for fiction to even greater heights
I am a Mass Communications General Broadcasting major at Norfolk State University. My goal is to become a media influencer and to inspire many in my position.