absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Kanye West Takes His Sunday Service to Howard’s Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

As everyone knows October at an HBCU equals Homecoming time. Alumni, current students, faculty, and staff all come together to celebrate their university’s legacy. This exciting occasion is celebrated through a week full of events including a concert that students are usually eager to attend. You never know what celebrities are going to perform or which special guests could tag along. 

Howard University in Washington D.C. got the biggest surprise at their Homecoming Yardfest when Kanye West decided to bring his Sunday Service to campus on a Saturday. He has been touring to different cities since January with his Sunday praise services and Howard happened to be next on the list. Kanye also brought his wife, Kim Kardashian, and his children to accompany him. He went on to close out his performance with his timeless classic “Jesus Walks”. 

Though many who attended said the performance was beautiful, there were still many eyebrows that were raised as to why Kanye decided to do the performance. West has been known for his very controversial comments and being affiliated with President Donald Trump who has displayed clear evidence of sexist and racist acts. Many took to social media to express their outrage of how a historically black university could invite such a controversial artist to their sacred ground. 

Despite what critics may say, Howard University definitely got to be a part of Kanye’s legendary Sunday Service and it will definitely go down in Howard University Homecoming history.   

Iman is a junior Mass Communications major at Norfolk State University from Los Angeles, CA. She has a passion for writing and creating quality content. She enjoys anything that pertains to fashion, music and poetry.