This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

While in the early 2000s entertainment days of Drake and Josh the iconic phrase “Are you calling me a liar?- I ain’t callin’ you a truther!” is quite the classic. Here in 2019, in a recent case that shook the media, actor Jussie Smollett, was brutally “attacked” on January 29th. This sent the world in an uproar as they defended Jussie and the hate crime of being beaten by rumored MAGA supporters who were in Jussie’s case, homophobic. Well, a month later the incident is reappearing in the media to have all been staged. This has everyone questioning if he is truly a “liar” or a “truther.”

The famous ‘Empire’ actor and member of the LGBTQ community had everyone raising an eyebrow when the incident which was reported as an attack believed to be done by two racist, homophobic Trump supporters ended up resurfacing with surprising evidence that those attackers may have actually been hired by Smollett himself. Yes, a true scammer! In fact, according to NBC News, he paid them $3,500 to execute the attack because he needed to promote his career; allegedly claiming he wasn’t getting his correct coins and was unhappy about his ‘Empire’ salary.

As seen in a recent clip on CBS Chicago’s Instagram, moments before the planned attack, there were two black men, known now as the “Osundairo brothers”, caught on surveillance purchasing ski masks and MAGA hats for their paid mission. It’s also been said that the bruises seen on Jussie was “self-inflicted” and the brother wore gloves as they “performed” the attack.

Video on CBS Chicago

The ordeal only became bigger when President Donald Trump applied his Twitter fingers questioning MAGA and the millions of people Jussie trolled with his racist allegations?

This caused a lot of eye rolls because not only did Jussie play the biggest scammer card of 2019, but started up Donald Trump and his favorite hobby, being vocal on every situation through Twitter. Way to go Jussie, you played the world and yourself! Meanwhile, other public figures such as Tyler Perry, Charlamagne tha God, and Reverend Al Sharpton had to speak on their feelings towards this publicity stunt Smollett pulled also.

As of February 21st, 2019 Jussie was charged on one felony count of disorderly conduct for filing a false police report according to ABC Chicago and a set bond of $10,000. Whew, now everyone feels played and betrayed because of Smollett after his brutal “attack” all to get his coins raised allegedly. 

Video:

Also, the ‘Empire’ cast is believed to be suspending Smollett due to his A1 acting for sure in this situation. As Tyra would say, “We were rooting for you, we were all rooting for you!” Well, of course, no one will no longer be rooting for Jussie’s scamming ways and in the terms of Drake and Josh, the world has put a verdict on not calling him a “truther.”

Daisha is a Freshman majoring in Psychology at Norfolk State University. She goes by "Daisy." With her bubbly and nurturing spirit she hopes to inspire and educate younger adults and collegiate women. Strong believer in women empowerment.