This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

As the weather fluctuates across the world, one place where the cold, brutal winter weather remains is in New York’s Metropolitan Detention Center. Over the last week, if you have missed the fairly disturbing stories about the mistreatment of inmates held in this center, this article is one to get you aware and angered with the rest of the world.

As all may know, going to jail could be considered one of the top things people fear the most because of the mistreatment you hear about prisoners. From the gang-related activity to the stories of guards treating the inmates like their animals; the Metropolitan Detention Center in their terms as of recently had a major power outage on January 27th which left inmates in freezing temperatures and no food.

Video

With these conditions going on for about a week, the inmates begin to plead for help and try their best to stay warm in their cold, pitch-black cells. This outage caused inmates to also have no visitation which made a massive outrage upon others and the families causing them to beat on their windows because not only could they not have visitors but the dangerous and mistreatment they were experiencing other days of pure ice-cold temperatures with little to no warm protection.

This situation quickly surfaces through social media making everyone who saw the traumatizing videos of protesters outside the Detention Center demanding safer living conditions and vocalizing the point that the guards and higher powered individuals of the center were treating the inmates like animals. To join the protest you may have seen a video of Reality Show star, Yandy Smith as she voices her anger outside of the Center with a microphone while trying to communicate with the inmates as they continue to bang on their windows to answer her numerous questions. One question that caused complete disgust that was asked was if they were provided blankets to maintain the horrifying temperatures and as you can see many banged “no.” Not long after the rage from the crowd escalated as Yandy demanded entrance in the center and was quickly maced.

Video

This type of behavior displayed in this Metropolitan Detention Center is one to feel disgusted in the actions that some inmates can experience. To have someone nearly freeze to death along with no food is completely inhumane! Though there are ones who are in there for many reasons, it’s important to understand that they are still humans.

Daisha is a Freshman majoring in Psychology at Norfolk State University. She goes by "Daisy." With her bubbly and nurturing spirit she hopes to inspire and educate younger adults and collegiate women. Strong believer in women empowerment.