harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Overcome Your Post-Breakup Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

When you are in love with someone your body releases the Dopamine, which is also the chemical that is released when you do drugs like heroin. So going through a breakup is almost like weening yourself off of a drug. Breakups can be very hurtful and hard to get through. It can really mess up your mental health and can cause you to go into a state of depression that seems almost impossible to get over. You can lose all interest in your daily lifestyle and find it impossible to get out of bed. Here are 5 ways to get over post-breakup depression:

1. Don’t look back–  After the decision to break-up has been made, don’t turn back. One of the main reasons we have the hardest time moving on is because we often keep trying to hold on. Stop stalking your ex’s social media and stop looking for reasons to communicate with them. By doing these things you’re giving yourself a false sense of hope that can potentially be very toxic to you and just make you more upset. 

2. Just let it go– There is no need for you to be “petty” or try to make them “jealous”. If you broke up, you broke up for a valid reason. By being shady you’re just showing them that they still have the upper hand over you and sometimes you can just look dumb because they don’t even care. 

3. Build relationships– Being fresh out of a relationship, it’s probably not a good idea for you to jump straight into another romantic relationship. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t work on your platonic relationships. You can confide in your loved ones for advice and a safe space to talk. Surrounding yourself with unconditional love and support from your family and friends can fill the void of your old partner and even distract you from thinking of them in the meantime. 

4. Always stay busy– You can dedicate this time to focus on finding a new hobby, picking up extra hours at work, or more being active in school. This can help occupy your attention, so you aren’t focused on being sad. Staying busy also gives you a reason to roll out of bed and do something.

5. Take self-care time– While it is important for you to stay busy, you should also use this time to focus on yourself and process your feelings. You can find someone to talk to when you’re feeling overwhelmed or you can buy a journal and write how you’re feeling. Also, use this time to meditate. Building your spirituality can make you feel better almost instantly. 

Getting over a breakup doesn’t happen overnight. All though it may be hard, give yourself time to get over it. These methods and so many others can help the process fly by, you just have to find out what works for you. Time heals and it will all get better before you know it!    

Jaila is a Sophmore Mass Communication major at Norfolk State University. She was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia. She loves makeup, dancing, and writing.