This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Homecoming is about survival. It takes STAMINA to be lit day to night, back to back! We all go into Homecoming with big expectations for not only the events and the turn-up, but for the looks we have so carefully crafted as well. Here’s the secret recipe to a foolproof Homecoming. Take notes! Homecoming only comes once a year and you DON’T want to be the one left in the dust. 

Okay Her Campus cuties, Meg said it was a Hot Girl Semester so let’s keep these grades hot before we even think of stepping out. The #1 rule to surviving Homecoming is to keep your grades ALIVE! Get all of your work out of the way during the first half of the week so that you aren’t stuck in your dorm trying to beat that 11:59 deadline while your friends are already on their fifth shot. Take care of business so that you can enjoy Homecoming shamelessly and stress-free. 

Next, Homecoming is the time to slay! This is the time to bring out your best outfits, beat your face, and set the new hair trend. If you want to survive Homecoming, your looks need to make it through the week too. Make sure you’re taking the extra steps necessary to set your face and secure that lace. To look good is to feel good. Be sure to pack your lippies to reapply, rose water to refresh your make-up, or a comb/brush to keep yourself on 1000. We all know how and when our hair and make-up likes to act up, so make sure you’re armed and ready to preserve the looks you worked so hard for! You don’t want all of those eyes to catch you slipping instead of slaying!

This is one of the biggest rules of them all: PACE YOURSELF. However you like to turn up — clear, brown, or green — don’t go too hard too soon or all at once. Remember that word I mentioned at the beginning? STAMINA. The best way to make it to every event and enjoy every event is to know your limits. Keeping yourself hydrated and eating solid meals go hand in hand with this as well. Don’t be the friend that has to leave the party early to lay up with the toilet seat or the friend that gets left because she’s still passed out in bed at 11 pm. 

As long as you’ve got these three bases covered, your Homecoming is sure to be elite. I would be doing you a disservice if I left out the most important thing: commit to having fun! Don’t let anybody ruin your time to let loose; not even your little campus boo who’s acting fake now that campus is lit! Snag an alumni and put him in his place before you let ANYONE ruin your week! Happy Homecoming Her Campus Cuties! May the odds ever be in your favor!

Diamond is a junior English major at Norfolk State University from Hampton, VA. She is an all-around creative who is specifically intrigued by neo-soul music, lyrical rap, and classic Harlem Renaissance literature. Upon graduation, Diamond hopes to teach English at underperforming schools as she pursues her dreams of becoming a renown poet, novelist, and screenwriter.