Career

Career-Based Reasons For Why You Should Volunteer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Want to know one thing that could not only better you but your resume as well? Community Service! Here are some career-based reasons for why you should volunteer!

1. It is an important asset for building your career.  Jobs love seeing that their potential candidates like to put in an extra helping hand. It looks amazing on a resume and puts you a bit further ahead of the game. 

2. It opens doors to meeting new people.  Meeting new people is refreshing and a big part of networking. Some of your biggest connections could come from some of the volunteer work you put in. 

3. It can help shape a path to your goals.  Let’s say you aren’t sure about what you really want to do as far as a career. Volunteering can provide a clearer vision of a career path that cold work for you. Not only does it make you more sensitive to what’s going on in the world but volunteering can also help you learn different things about yourself, such as likes and dislikes. 

4. It gives you a greater sense of self.  Volunteering is selflessly giving your time for free to help those in need. Stepping outside of your own wants and desires can ultimately shape you into becoming a better person. It can give you more outlooks on life. Also, volunteering is known to be a great confidence booster. Talking and interacting with strangers is a great way to break out of a comfortable barrier. 

Volunteering is a wonderful thing and is recommended to all, no matter how high your education or income.