This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Many have been wondering why Netflix’s monthly prices have gone up. Well, I think we have an answer…

Netflix teased us with a graphic image that says “Homecoming” in Greek letters with a yellow background. Most thought it was simply an HBCU special highlighting historic Homecomings but the ‘Bey-hive’ knew exactly what it was…

Days after that, Netflix posted “An in-depth look at Beyonce’s celebrated 2018 Coachella performance from creative concept to a cultural movement. #beyoncehomecoming” while showing us a trailer of what’s to come for the new documentary.

The trailer features concert footage and a voice over of Maya Angelou with her saying, “I want to be representative of my race — the human race,” she says. “I have a chance to show how kind we can be, how intelligent and generous we can be. I have a chance to teach, to love and to laugh. I know that when I finish doing what I’m sent here to do I will be called home and I will go home without any fear, trepidations, wondering what’s going to happen. […] Tell the truth, to yourself first, and to the children.”

The 2018 Coachella Performance introduced a soulful but yet dramatic set filled with a live marching band and majorette dancers. The performance paid tribute to the HBCU experience.  As you may know, some of the footage that will be in this documentary will highlight some recent graduates from HBCUs like Famu, Norfolk State, and Southern University. This will be an impactful film filled with particularly black college culture. We don’t get these moments often to see black excellence actually shown on big platforms such as Netflix.

I wouldn’t encourage you to steal someone’s Netflix account password, but I would suggest you get a free trial in the meantime and support black excellence and most importantly Beyonce.

The Documentary is scheduled to air on April 17.

Patsy Douglas

New School '20

Patsy Douglas is currently in her Senior year at Norfolk State University, majoring in Mass Communication/General Broadcast