Becoming Breaks Records and Inspires Women Worldwide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Since the release of Michelle Obama’s memoir two months ago; it has broken records, been added to school curriculums, and held its spot at the top of Amazon’s Best-Seller List. The book’s success has surpassed modern classics like Fifty Shades of Grey and single-handedly established Michelle Obama as a serious author. These accomplishments have proven that Michelle Obama can not only excel as a prominent public figure but as anything she sets her mind to.  

Her book, Becoming, has managed to sell more than two million copies in the U.S. and Canada alone. The book is written like a timeline. It is a window into her personal life prior to becoming an Obama, her time at the White House, and everything in between. 

Throughout her book, she reveals all of the difficulties she has encountered throughout her life. Michelle Obama is very transparent in Becoming. She talks about bad times in her marriage with Barack, her miscarriage, and her journey with in vitro fertilization.

During the campaign season for the Obama Administration, Michelle’s college and professional career was purposely highlighted over her upbringing to make America more comfortable with the idea of an African American First Lady. Her south side Chicago roots were kept as private as possible; but in her memoir, she elaborates on the experiences that formed her character from childhood in Chicago to the First Lady United States. 

In recent news, the book has now broken publishing records in Iran, giving women there a new type of voice. The memoir has also become the No. 1 adult nonfiction title in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, and Finland.

A mogul woman is a woman who is inspirational, powerful, and influential. Michelle Obama has proved she is all that and more. Even without the title of the first lady, she continues to make a change.

Now the question is, how will you become a mogul woman?

Skyler is a bubbly and vibrant soul She is a Mass Communications student at the illustrious Norfolk State University She enjoys shopping and spending time with her friends and family She dreams of one day moving to New York City and writing for a big time magazine