samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

If it wasn’t hard enough being a full-time student, adding a job to the mix can send a girl over the edge. Even the impossible is obtainable with the proper planning, tips, and tricks. Learn how to be the girl who can do both!

First things first: You need to be thorough with your job search. Find a job that can work with your availability, isn’t too far from your school/home, and actually includes duties that you enjoy or at least have experience in. I know you saw your options narrowing more and more with every word of that sentence BUT job searching can be a lot like house hunting. Finding a job with everything on your wish list can help you out so much more in the long run! It’s better to stress out temporarily about finding the right job now than to end up stressing for months or even longer because of the crazy traffic during your commute, work hours that interfere with your much needed study time, etc.  Don’t rush into a job just because you’re in need of extra money. Your time is money as well and you don’t want to waste your time on a job that doesn’t benefit you.

After you’ve found a job that works best for you make sure that you are honest with yourself about how many hours you can work without it distracting you from your coursework. Don’t get money hungry after those first couple of checks start rolling in! It’s pointless to hold yourself back from your dream career by putting too much time and energy into your temporary career.

Lastly, the key to being a girl who can do both is balance. Even if you can handle your full course load and crazy work hours perfectly —don’t work your college years away. Don’t miss out on key events on campus or once in a lifetime memories to work a job you don’t truly care about. After graduation, adulting will hit you like a ton of bricks! Be a college kid while you can!

With these key things in mind you can collect not only your dollars but your degree at the same time!

Diamond Cinclair Broughton is a sophmore, Strategic Communications major from Hampton, VA. 
A free spirit who was born and raised in California, Chere is currently a student at Norfolk State University. At school, you are likely to find her studying mass communications -- but she is a firm believer in the expansion of knowledge in all areas. A strong advocate for Black women, equality, and social justice, Chere hopes to use her writing to further answer her call to activism.