Wellness > Sex + Relationships

4 Tips for Surviving a Long Distance Relationship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Let’s talk basics. We go to college to get an education and maintain a social life, while also having this whole conception of finding a significant other. Being boo’d up in college is a goal for many and can be the ideal goal for some throughout their collegiate years. Lots of people go to college in hopes of not only finding themselves but finding their person, but no one really discusses the challenges of long distance relationships for people who can in Soulja Boy’s words, be kissed through the phone. With these 4 survival tips, even two distant hearts can be successful through the college life.

Tip 1:  Know Your Limit Sis!

Please understand that you’re in college and you need to not base your life around your relationship. College is a time for you to live up to your dreams and secure the bag of your career aspirations. Learning the appropriate times to communicate is important, don’t limit yourself in your room all day just to talk on the phone with your partner. Get out and network to meet new people! Don’t let your relationship hold you back from making new connections and not having fun. This is your time, just be cautious of your actions.

Tip 2: Don’t Distance the Trust

To tie in with being cautious of your actions, make sure your partner is doing the same. When we think about a long distance relationship (especially in college) trust is a huge concern and it is tested throughout your relationship with your partner. In all relationships trust is a necessity, and with the hundreds of activities and events the college life comes along with don’t feel like you both can’t have your fun. Be able to have that trust in each other that you can have your fun and do it responsibly.

Tip 3: Know What’s Too Friendly

Ladies please understand that not everyone is trying to be just your “friend” and in our generation friendships have different meanings to people. Of course with the college life socializing and meeting new friends will be apart of your journey, but some people you may meet along the way will want to be more than just your friend. Just because your partner isn’t always there to protect you, please protect yourself against others who you feel are trying to jeopardize your relationship. If they can’t respect your happiness, they can not respect you. Cut them off sis!

Tip 4: Make Time For Each Other

Lastly, I know it sucks to not always be boo’d up while constantly being surrounded by couples, but don’t let your distance keep you from seeing your partner when it’s possible. Now again, this doesn’t mean excessive communication, like being cooped up in your dorm all day to stay on FaceTime with bae because you miss them so much; please don’t forget about your social life! Try to go out and actually experience your college days. Working with each other’s schedule is beneficial. Of course, you will have breaks to return home so always plan ahead with different dates or times you’d like to spend with each other and be sure to make them all worth it. Whether if it’s a simple parked car conversation or an extravagant date, be sure to know the value of each others’ time so when you both part ways you’ll have something to look forward to when you get to see one another again.

Now that you know the ultimate survival guide to manage your long distance relationship, don’t let the distance break your connection because the college life can be quite the hassle. Also, remember it may be challenging but with trust, communication, and knowing who will benefit you in life will make everything a lot more simple. Never lose hope in your relationship just because of the distance. If you both work hard for it, then it’ll be worth it.

Daisha is a Freshman majoring in Psychology at Norfolk State University. She goes by "Daisy." With her bubbly and nurturing spirit she hopes to inspire and educate younger adults and collegiate women. Strong believer in women empowerment.