This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

Natural hair has become a huge trend among women of all races, and for a majority of these women that means styling their curly or wavy hair. A lot of women are finding themselves stuck on how to style their own natural locks. Here are 3 tips every curly haired girl should consider when wanting to get head turning results.

1. Know Your Curls:  Curly hair comes in all types of lengths and textures. There are loose, wave like curls all the way to tight and coarser curls. Knowing what type of curls that are being worked with is very important when it comes to styling curly hair. By knowing the curl type, it makes it easier to find techniques and products for flawless, defined curls.

2. Deep Condition Regularly Deep conditioning on a regular basis, is probably the most important tip when styling curly hair. Deep conditioning at least once a week allows for moisture that may have been dried out of the hair to be restored. Keeping curls hydrated is very important for hair growth, which is something every girl wants to achieve.

3. Get into a Routine: Finding a “Curly Hair Routine” is an absolute must for styling curly hair. Get into the habit of sticking with products that cater to your hair, the method used to apply each product, and any other technique that may be used to achieve a style. This can include things such as braiding hair at night or styling hair when wet, then diffusing with a blow dryer.

Ultimately, making the decision to say no to the things that damage natural curls and embracing what makes them great is probably one of the most liberating things for any woman. Learning how to style curly hair can seem like a tedious task but can also be the very rewarding.

Hello, my name is Taylor and I’m a senior at Norfolk State University. I’m majoring in Mass Communication/ Journalism and I will be graduating in December of 2018 (yay!). Writing has always been my outlet, and I’m hoping that through Her Campus I’m able to create engaging and inspiring content that is relatable for every young woman.
A free spirit who was born and raised in California, Chere is currently a student at Norfolk State University. At school, you are likely to find her studying mass communications -- but she is a firm believer in the expansion of knowledge in all areas. A strong advocate for Black women, equality, and social justice, Chere hopes to use her writing to further answer her call to activism.