This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NSU chapter.

It seems like releasing music endlessly is the new trend. While some staple artists like Frank Ocean or Rihanna, have us on edge waiting for new music like it’s a text message from our long lost lover, others have been dropping content faster than we can digest. Don’t get lost in a sea of Apple Music playlists or Spotify recommendations. Save your time and check out these great artists before the bandwagoners get a hold of them!

1. Kiana Ledé

Famous for her soulful mashups on YouTube, this singer/songwriter is on the rise. The Phoenix native has the perfect looks, voice, and brand to become a mainstream R&B and Pop artist.

Song Recommendation: Ex by Kiana Ledé

2. Marco McKinnis

I could be a tad bit biased about this artist since he is from my hometown, Hampton, Virginia but hey — let’s not pretend like Virginia doesn’t produce greatness (Trey Songz, Pharrell, Kali Uchis, Missy Elliot, DRAM, Pusha T, D’Angelo, Timbaland, Chris Brown!).

Everyone has their own “chill playlist”. Trust me when I say Marco McKinnis’ vocals and chill vibes are what your playlist is missing!

Song Recommendation: Silent Waters by Marco McKinnis

3. Dreezy

This Southside Chicago native will put your favorite mumble rapper to shame. Her flow is seriously ridiculous. You’ll love the way she effortlessly fuses her hard bars with chill R&B beats.

Song Recommendation: For true R&B vibes listen to Close to You by Dreezy feat. T-Pain. If you’re interested in something more upbeat, listen to Chanel Slides by Dreezy feat. Kash Doll

4. Saba

Saba gives you music with substance! Noting Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco as his biggest inspirations, this Chicago rapper will feed your soul with his songs. He has a handful of hit collabs with Chance The Rapper and will not disappoint.

Song Recommendation: Photosynthesis by Saba feat. Jean Deaux

5. Ari Lennox

I’m a sucker for great vocals, and if you are a person who claims to have great taste in music, I’m sure you are too. This D.C. singer/songwriter is signed to Dreamville Records under the one and only, J.Cole. Her music gives nostalgic R&B vibes and her unapologetic lyrics seal the deal.

Song Recommendation: Whipped Cream by Ari Lennox

6. Mahalia

This UK singer/songwriter has super relatable lyrics that every girl can vibe to.

Song Recommendation: Sober by Mahalia

7. Tierra Whack

First and foremost, her visuals are AMAZING. The North Philadelphia rapper is truly an innovative and unique artist. I would tell you more but her music speaks for itself.

Song Recommendation: Only Child by Tierra Whack

7. Justine Skye

Many people have been hip to Justine Skye since the sacred and well missed days of Tumblr, but not many are truly hip to her music. Stop talking about how you’re going to dye your hair Justine Skye purple and start talking about Justine Skye’s latest project, Ultraviolet!

Song Recommendation: Build by Justine Skye feat. Arin Ray

9. Boogie

Do yourself a favor and fall in love with this Compton rapper’s new album, Everythings for Sale. Although he’s been in the rap game since 2014, this debut album featuring collabs with artists varying from Eminem to 6LACK, is sure to give him the recognition he deserves.

Song Recommendation: Skydive II by Boogie feat. 6LACK

10. Diggy Simmons

The adolescent Diggy may be mainstream but the grown and sexy, Diggy Simmons is a breaking artist that has crafted his comeback with care. His latest album, Lighten Up, has endless bops and is accompanied by visuals that display the signature style he exudes now that he has come into his own.

Song Recommendation: Text Me by Diggy Simmons feat. Leven Kali

So the next time you get tired of same old songs that are recycled by radio and party DJs, revisit this list of gems. If you don’t enjoy the music of at least one of these breaking artist just know — it’s your taste not mine! 

Diamond is a junior English major at Norfolk State University from Hampton, VA. She is an all-around creative who is specifically intrigued by neo-soul music, lyrical rap, and classic Harlem Renaissance literature. Upon graduation, Diamond hopes to teach English at underperforming schools as she pursues her dreams of becoming a renown poet, novelist, and screenwriter.