Mojito
Mojito
Keriss101 / Spoon

Your Guide to Cocktail Bars in Nottingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So, it’s safe to say that this year at university, I have developed a slight cocktail addiction. I think it’s part of the transition from first year to second year, where you start clubbing less, but going to bars more, and I have enjoyed many a cocktail around Nottingham. By now, I feel I have quite a good knowledge of where and when to get the best drinks and I am ready to share with you the best places for a date night, a casual evening with friends or fancy places to get your family to take you when they visit… enjoy!

Das Kino: Every Tuesday do 2-4-1 cocktails up to 9pm and also serve up very good pizza, so this is good place to go to for a catch up and dinner with a friend… they also have ping-pong tables, so possibly a good first date night location (just in case the convo isn’t flowing that well just yet…).

Be At One: this place has one of the most extensive cocktail menus on this list which makes it perfect for a large group of friends (everyone will find something they’re happy to drink!). Even better, they do two for one cocktails for students throughout the whole week, making it one of the best for great value for money.

Turtle Bay: a good place to go to when other happy hours have stopped as theirs runs from 10pm onwards, so the perfect place to finish at the end of a bar crawl.

Pepper Rocks: I would say this the perfect date place: not too fancy but still really cool, the music isn’t too loud and they do £5 cocktails up to 10pm. Also, the interior is really interesting so ideal for your Instagram feed.

Hockley Arts Club: this is more on the pricey side of cocktails so maybe one to go to with your family if you don’t want to pay, but still want to try some of the super creative and interesting drinks they have to offer. Warning – it gets super busy though, so try on a weekday if possible!

Bunk: Pretty infamous among students, and while I wouldn’t say the cocktails are the best on this list, they are only £5 up to 10pm and you can get half price wings as well, so a good casual night out for some food, games and drinks. 

Boilermaker: this is pretty cool because of its secret location, and a really cute date place to try for a special occasion – cocktails are more expensive but worth it for a memorable night

The Alchemist: who doesn’t make their parents take them here when they visit? For cool science-themed cocktails in one the most beautiful buildings in Nottingham, it is a must for a birthday or post-exam treat!

Brass Monkey: Less well known but do a later happy hour from 8pm to 12pm so worth trying out – it doesn’t have such an extensive list of drinks but they are really expertly made and like everything else on this list, extremely delicious too.

Katy Skillen

Nottingham '22

Hi, I'm a second year nutrition and dietetic student at Uni of Notts, interested in healthy eating and living, body positivity and all things food-related!
2019/ 2020 Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Nottingham A love for writing, drinking tea & chatting about uncomfortable things.