Your Final Year Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

When you started first year at Nottingham, you probably thought you had the world at your feet and your three (or more) years of university would take forever to complete. Then, final year comes around quicker than you could have ever imagined, and that strange feeling hits you: I have to enter the real world in less than 12 months. We understand that you feel you have to spend your year planning job applications, perfecting your CV, and looking for places to live away from your parents house, but take a second to sit back and reflect: what have I missed out on doing here at Nottingham? Is there anything I wish I had done? If nothing springs to mind (but we’re sure it has), take a look at this final year bucket list we have compiled for you. You have three semesters to complete it, so take some time off from rocking back and forth in your chair worrying about the months to come, and work your way through the list. Then you can look back on your final year as not only devoting your body and mind to the library, but having had fun doing stuff that you just can’t do once you’ve graduated from Nottingham!

1. Do Campus 14 – and dress up for it!
It’s tradition to do Campus 14 if you attend Nottingham, but you may have got to final year and realised that you’ve yet to actually do it. Get a big group of friends together, make sure you all go in costumes, and do campus 14! We don’t recommend the tradition of running into the lake at the end of it though, for obvious reasons.

2. Get a picture sitting on the lions outside the Town Hall

3. Get a picture with the Robin Hood statue

4. Crash a house party
We don’t literally mean crash. But if you’re walking along one night and hear music and people spilling out of every entrance of the house, go in! It might end up being a really fun night.

5. Get Fortune Boy
You may have already got Fortune Boy 100 times (think back to freshers’ year), but there may be those of you that have never bothered ordering. Do it – it’s great Chinese food.

6. 7 legged
This is hands down one of the funniest nights of the year, and it’s unique to Nottingham. The idea: get 7 people together, including yourself, and pick a theme for your group, with one person dressed different to all the others (think Little Bo Peep and her sheep; or Cruella De Ville and her Dalmatians). You then tie everyone’s legs together to create 7 ‘legs’, and the aim is to do a bar crawl and walk around town whilst tied together. It’s hilarious, but will be one of the most challenging moments of your university career.

7. Go to class in your PJ’s

8. Go to Crisis all nighter – and stay until close
Admittedly, final year might mean that you spend no time in Crisis after wasting too much time in there in previous years, but if you haven’t already, do the all-nighter.

9. Revisit your old hall
We’re guessing it’s been a long time since you went there. Go back and wonder round the halls to see what’s changed, and bring back all those memories you’d forgotten.

10. Have a drink in Britain’s oldest pub
It’s called Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, is situated on Castle Road, and has been serving us alcohol-thirsty Britons since 1189.

11. Watch a movie at the Savoy Cinema, Derby Road
A trip to the Savoy is always worth it. It’s a tiny, quintessential cinema with screens as small as your living room, and tickets are only £3 for students (think about Orange Wednesdays!). You also have to try out the ‘love seats’ – made for couples with no arm rest barrier.

12. Jog around the lake on campus

13. Go out everyday of the week

14. Go to a Trent night

15. Eat at May Sum
All you can eat Chinese food, for £5 until 5pm, then £9 onwards. You don’t get these student-friendly prices after graduation, so you know what to do.

Continued on next page…

[pagebreak]

16. Go out not knowing where to start
Pre-drink at yours, then wander around the little alleyways and streets that branch off from the city centre – your own DIY bar crawl. You may end up somewhere really cool, and you get more drunk the more you wander.

17. Max-out on daytime TV

18. Order pizza to Hallward
More people do this than you realise, and there’s a reason that Hallward’s night-time hours sync with pizza delivery hours.

19. Host a house party

20. Make friends with a cabbie

21. Get drunk at the Bag O Nails

22. Go to Nottingham for New Years
There are some brilliant things going on here at New Year (we can verify from past experience). You even have your own bed to go home to when the night is over – much cheaper and easier than spending New Year’s in London.

23. Go for cocktails at Coco Tang
Albeit the cocktails are a little pricey, but the cocktail list also tells you the alcohol content of each cocktail. So pick wisely, and don’t leave without having a technicolour iced tea.

24. Go for ‘triples for singles’ at BZR

25. Revise in Lenton park/ on the Downs

26. Have a meal at Mooch
Great prices and great tasting wings.

27. Go to Sainsbury’s in your pyjamas

28. Go for one last dip in the Ocean

29. Go ice skating in the town square before Christmas break

30. Ride the ferris wheel in the town square after New Year
Scary heights but breathtaking views.

You have three semesters to complete this. Print it off and get started!

Anna is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham. She studies American Studies and completed a year abroad at the University of Illinois, USA in 2011/12 where she found her passion for Her Campus by working for Her Campus Illinois as a news editorial intern. After graduating, Anna wishes to pursue her dream of moving to London (or even the US eventually!) and working in something creative and fast-paced, whether it be editing, fashion journalism, PR or publishing. Hobbies (/obsessions) include fashion, shopping, traveling, music and, most importantly, food.