Yolanda King: SU Sports Officer Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham met with Yolanda King, 3rd year Geography student, and yes, she can colour inside the lines! Aside from studying she spends the majority of her time playing Table Tennis. She is a women’s first team captain and is President of the Table Tennis Club and is highly involved with the committee side, from IMS, to organising socials and competing. 

You ran for Sports Officer last year, and so clearly you’re passionate about the role! What makes you so passionate about it?

I have had incredible experiences through sport from a young age, which has continued throughout my University career. I have represented England Table Tennis at European Championships, other international competitions and have won a national title competing for my senior school football team. With the support of the University, myself and my team mates trained in China, played Tri Campus games in China and competed in the European Uni Championships in Switzerland. I personally do not know where I would be without sport, not just because of the ‘feel good’ factor but mostly because of the network of close friends I have built. I want all of our students to have the opportunity to join clubs, try sports through Engage, be inspired by some our top athletes and build a new circle of friends that will support them whatever the weather. I’ve had a year to grow and gain more knowledge, so I feel I am in a much better position this year to do a good job if I am elected.

What are you doing differently this year?

I have spent my year building my knowledge on areas that I felt I lacked this time last year. As President of the Table Tennis club I have had a great deal of exposure to the SU as well as a great experience working with our members and sports department. I have met wayyyy more students, which has been hectic, especially as I am still competing in BUCS and studying, but I am enjoying the whole build up to elections a lot more, although I am just as nervous- no second chances this year!

Do you think it’s important to have an emphasis on getting women in sport, or do you think there are enough opportunities for women and girls to get involved already?

Yes I do. Last year a main point on my manifesto was to introduce the This Girl Can Campaign, which did happen with the introduction of This Girl Can Week this year, which I was happy about. I do believe opportunities and ideologies have improved significantly since the release of that campaign video in 2015. I think more can be done with perhaps in the introduction of girls only times or gym areas, however it has to be carefully thought through as to not cause conflict against other members of the student body.

What’s the best/your favourite part of your manifesto?

Tough question..I have thought so carefully and narrowed down so many great ideas from students before I managed to finalize my manifesto.  Showcasing our 72 sports is definitely one I am excited about. I want to shout about how great our students are doing to encourage others to get involved. As a University we should be more proud of the fact we are currently ranked 3rd in Britain.  There are also our non-BUCS sports, such as competitive lifesaving and Handball that we mustn’t forget about either! 

Your branding is quite distinctive! What made you pick the Burger King logo (apart from the obvious pun) when you’re going for the role of Sports Officer?

I asked myself the same question and have been thinking of answer as soon as I decided to go with the Burger King branding… It is actually why I chose not to run with it last year. I am definitely NOT endorsing Burger King, I have been a vegetarian my whole life but I wanted a memorable sign and as you’ve said yourself, it’s distinctive!

Which of your policies do you think will be most difficult to implement if you were to get the role?

I’m not really sure which would be most difficult to implement, but I think introducing the BUCS #TakeAStand campaign could be the most difficult to manage. Rather than starting a whole new campaign, my idea is to combine the campaign with our Welfare in Sport and No Homophobia in Sport campaigns, to reduce the negative press surrounding university sport and increase positive coverage. The resources and structure has been developed by BUCS with eight ‘themes’ to tackle such as racism, alcohol abuse etc. After talking to students a lot of worries that have been highlighted are encompassed in this campaign. The difficulty will be deciding which themes to begin with, it would be too much to tackle all eight in one year!

Is there anything we should be looking out for whilst your campaigning?

Free burgers… just kidding haha! But keep an eye out, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Look out for me and THE TEAM, a great bunch, and don’t be afraid to come up and chat!!

Anything you would like to add? 

I really appreciate everyone who supported and voted last year. Coming 2nd definitely gave me confidence to run again! Look out for when my manifesto is released!

QUICKFIRE ROUND

Ocean- yay or nay? Nay- Crisis all the way

What’s your dream job? Sports Officer ; )

Personal miracle hangover cure? Ice, fizzy water and lemon- it’s so refreshing!

Personal claim to fame? I was an Olympic torch bearer for London 2012 Olympics. 

Also, I’m named after Martin Luther King’s daughter, if I was a boy you can probably guess what I would have been called..

If you were on Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be? The Simpsons

Pizza or pasta? Pasta!!!

Football or rugby? Oooh difficult! I follow West Ham United but I used to play football and touch Rugby before Uni, soo…

VKs or Jagerbombs? Jagerbombs

Baths or showers? Showers

Thank you for your time Yolanda- we wish you the best of luck with your campaign!