WTF (What The Film?!) – “Kingsman: The Golden Circle” Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Eggsy, Elton and electrifying excitement; why Kingsman: The Golden Circle is an absolute must-see this year. SOME SPOILERS AHEAD.

Following the huge success of its predecessor Kingsman: The Secret Service back in 2015 which took an astounding $414m worldwide, it’s fair to say that the sequel in the darkly comic-action-spy-thriller Kingsman franchise had a lot to live up to. However, despite the mixed reviews and so-called ‘far-fetched’ plot, The Golden Circle certainly struck gold in the box office, which led to a bigger opening weekend than a slew of this summer’s blockbuster giants including Alien: Covenant, Wonder Woman and The Mummy. With its dark humour, meticulous fight scenes, Colin Firth and its undeniable charm, we’ll set the scene to show you why you should break out the popcorn for a trip to see Kingsman.

As Taron Egerton’s London-rogue turned gentleman ‘Eggsy’ emerges from the eponymous ‘Kingsman’ Saville Row tailor shop, he’s greeted with a ghost from his, and the movie’s, past, Charlie (Edward Holcroft), the embittered former Kingsman recruit. After three missiles, an underwater taxi and a mechanical arm later, the agency’s London headquarters are brought to the ground by the psychotic drug dealer Poppy Adams, they take all the Kingsman agents and leave Eggsy and Merlin to pick up the pieces.

A bottle of whiskey later and the two are in America facing off against Tequila (Channing Tatum), an agent working for Kingsman’s American counterpart ‘Statesman’. Tequila knocks out Merlin and tranquilises Eggsy, who then brings them in for interrogation, presuming them to be rivals and threatening them with (wait for it…) the believed-to-be-dead and shot-in-the-head Harry Hart (Colin Firth), seen in a padded room along with him wearing an eye patch. Luckily, before Tequila can shoot the two Kingsman, Ginger Ale, played by the amazing Halle Berry, stops him. She allows them to speak to Harry, who appears to have no recollection of the two of them, or his life as a Kingsman agent.

Meanwhile, Poppy, the afore mentioned psychotic drug dealer, is living in the Cambodian jungle in the imaginatively named ‘Poppy Land’, a 50s style community complete with cinema, salon, diner and robot dogs. The billionaire drug lord, or rather drug lady, claims that she is the most successful businesswoman in the world, whereas in reality no one has really heard of her. She says that one of her associates, played by Keith Allen, has been doing business behind her back; a fact that she is less than happy about to say the least. To punish him, she breaks out her two robot dogs, a meat grinder and some burger buns – enough said?

Poppy also goes on to reveal that her company has been lacing a variety of Class A drugs along with her own produced drugs that ultimately lead to death if not cured quickly, which is later revealed through her prisoner Elton John (yes, the Elton John) comes down with a blue rash across his face. When Agent Tequila comes down with a similar blue rash, Statesmen calls in the help of one of their other agents, Whiskey (played by Game of Thrones’ Pedro Pascal) , and his electric lasso, to aid in the two agencies’ joint effort to bring down Poppy and save the millions across the world infected by the drugs…

And so, does Harry Hart recover his memory? Will Tequila recover from the blue rash? Can Eggsy save the world once again? And will Elton ever escape from Poppy Land? Go see the movie; although it may be too far-fetched or too fast paced for some, in my opinion its mixture of outlandishness, humour and individuality makes this movie pure fun and a pleasure to watch.

Edited by Angelica Beier

Image Sources

1

2, 3, 4

5

6

Thumbnail

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!