Why You Should Watch ‘Love, Rosie’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Whilst I feel like I should be reviewing a Christmas film at this time of year, this season is the perfect time to take a break from deadlines and watch a heart-warming classic. Love, Rosie has been a favourite of mine since it came out and as it’s recently been released on Netflix, it’s the perfect excuse for a review and to tell you why you will love it too.

Rosie, played by Lily Collins, and Alex, Sam Claflin, have been best friends since they were young until a drunken kiss at Rosie’s 18th caused Alex to fall in love with her. Whilst this seems like those typical boring rom-coms that I usually don’t like, the story beautifully becomes more dynamic when most girls worst nightmare happens: Rosie becomes pregnant after a one night stand. The dad is the typical laddish immature teenage boy who, whilst keen to be involved, is far too irresponsible to take the role seriously.

The story then follows Rosie and Alex as their lives progress, Rosie stuck at home raising a baby whilst Alex moves to America to pursue university at Harvard. They desperately try to keep their friendship alive across the distance but Rosie can’t help feeling like she has been alienated and is missing out. Rosie dreams of owning her own hotel, but given her circumstances has to put her own ambitions on hold. Whilst she is unsure about her romantic feelings towards Alex, walking into his house and hearing him and his new girlfriend having sex is sure to put anyone off and ensure awkward conversations.

The pair then grow apart before reuniting 5 years later, when Rosie visits Alex in Boston. However, their situations are very different and they both feel worlds apart from each other. Both have their fair share of difficulties and struggles, including Rosie having to make an awkward speech at the wedding of her best friend who she might have feelings for – a situation that no one wants to be in! There are several tear-jerking moments throughout the film  (without giving too much away) that keep you on the edge emotionally. Ultimately, however, it’s an amusing feel-good film that I would highly recommend watching this season.

Edited By Niamh Perry

Images

1

2

Izzy Walker

Nottingham '19

I'm in my final year of uni (cry) and the current Head of Reviews for Her Campus Nottingham. I'm passionate about travelling, fitness and most importantly food.
Student at the University of Nottingham studying English and French. Spending a year in France doing sport, sailing and marketing.