megan thee stallion?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
megan thee stallion?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NBC

Why The World Needs More Female Rappers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Over the past few decades, rap music has become almost integral to our daily life. From the dominance of rap artists such as Dave in the charts to streetwear brands becoming a style staple, it is undeniable the impact that rap has had on popular culture since its emergence in 1970. However, this is not without controversy. From homophobia to glamoursing gang life, the rap genre has always had a negative label attached to it. Critics are quick to generalise the industry as a whole, grouping together both male and female artists when their lyricism is completely different.

I was thirteen years old when I first became immersed in the world of rap. An avid fan of old school artists such as the Notorious B.I.G, Jay Z and Nas, I spent my bus journeys to and from school listening to the most misogynistic, hateful lyrics imaginable. At the time, I didn’t really understand this but looking back, I’m disgusted that I participated in promoting their music. Women are referred to as bitches, hoes or objects of male satisfaction, labels that not only demean women but make it near impossible for women to be taken seriously in the industry. Rarely are they seen as intellectuals or anything more than an accessory. 

It’s not just the lyrics either, it’s the lifestyle these male rappers have created. We as a society have chosen to brush under the carpet the words and actions of numerous rap artists and give them a celebrity status which they don’t really deserve. Violence and hatred towards women are not acceptable in everyday life so why is it acceptable in the rap industry?

Thankfully, there are some women willing to change this narrative. The female rap scene has exploded in the past few years with artists such as Meg Thee Stallion, Nicki Minaj and Cardi B dominating the airwaves with songs about female empowerment. Even here in the UK, the rap scene, one that has always been saturated with male voices, has started to see a female resurgence. Songs such as Woman by Little Simz, provide a refreshing escape from the usual sexualisation of women, instead choosing to champion the strength and power us women actually have within society. Peng Black Girls by Enny is another song that should be on everyone’s playlist. A soulful beat accompanied by poetic lyrics, Enny fills a void in modern media that leaves out black women and makes them feel seen and valid. Whilst a song may not seem major, the representation of dark-skinned black women itself is something that has been missing for so long. Peng Black Girls reaffirms that message that black is beautiful, contrary to what has been said previously.

Whilst it would be hypocritical for me to sit here and tell you to never listen to your favourite male rappers again, I would like to suggest you refresh your playlists. Instead of Eminem, try Enny. Had enough of Biggie? Try some Nicki Minaj.  In short, there needs to be a major change in the way we as consumers view females within the rap industry. Women rappers provide a much-needed breath of fresh air in an industry that has been, for so long, dominated by men and I, for one, certainly welcome this change and I hope you will too.

Tilly Gough

Nottingham '24

Tilly Gough is the Joint Editor in Chief for the Nottingham Chapter of Her Campus, with her interests including social issues in sport, particularly football and modern- day culture. She overseas a team of over 30 writers, finalising all articles before they are published and additionally, helps the committee with planning events and social media. She is a final year History Student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she enjoys recreational running, spending time with her friends, family, boyfriend and binge- watching series on Netflix.