This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Pottery painting, often seen as a simple pastime, which holds a deep therapeutic value that goes beyond just being creative. Engaging with pottery, whether it’s shaping clay or painting ceramic pieces, brings a sense of mindfulness and relaxation. Recently, I visited Pot n Kettle, a quaint pottery painting shop in Beeston, and was struck by how it was filled with a variety of pottery pieces: from small relics to large bowls, they were all waiting to be transformed.

As a child, I frequented pottery painting shops, leaving my bedroom adorned with dog-shaped creations covered in messy paint. But what makes this activity so therapeutic? Reflecting on those childhood experiences, I realised that pottery painting offers more than just artistic expression; it provides a space for self-reflection and mindfulness.

During my visit to Pot n Kettle, I couldn’t help but appreciate the calming effect of working with clay and paint. Each stroke of the brush or press of the clay brought me a sense of satisfaction. Sitting alongside my partner, engrossed in our creative process, we both felt a sense of calm and contentment wash over us.

Pottery painting allows for uninhibited self-expression, serving as a form of therapy where words are not necessary to convey emotions. It’s a chance to disconnect from the chaos of everyday life and reconnect with oneself on a deeper level. Leaving Pot n Kettle with our finished pieces, we felt a renewed sense of joy and relaxation. The colourful creations we made mirrored the happiness we found in the process. In a world filled with constant noise and distractions, pottery painting offers a simple yet powerful way to find peace and contentment within oneself.

The experience of working with clay or ceramic pieces can be incredibly soothing. The feeling of the material between your fingers, the shaping and moulding process, all contribute to a sense of feeling more grounded and connected to the present moment. Additionally, pottery painting allows for a sense of achievement and accomplishment. As you see your creation taking shape and coming to life with each brushstroke or layer of glaze, it instils a feeling of pride and satisfaction. This tangible outcome of your efforts can boost self-esteem and promote a positive sense of self-worth.

Engaging in pottery painting with a partner or loved one, as I did, can deepen your connection, and enhance the therapeutic benefits. Sharing the experience of creating something beautiful together enables bonding and communication, creating cherished memories in the process.

Pottery painting is therapeutic for a multitude of reasons. From its calming and mindful nature to its tactile and tangible aspects, it offers a holistic experience that nurtures the mind, body, and soul. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, self-expression, or quality time with loved ones, pottery painting provides a creative sanctuary where you can find solace and joy.

Bethan Beddow

Nottingham '24

Hi, I'm Bethan and I study English with Creative Writing BA! I adore blog writing, specifically on matters that surround women and femininity, as well as other forms of creative writing such as creating poetry. As a typical English student, my room is brimming with hundreds of books – fantasy and romance are my top genres – and so in my free time I'm usually engrossed in one or two novels.