Where the Old HCN Exec Team Are Now (And Why You Should Apply This Year!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Here at Her Campus Nottingham we are looking for a brand new exec team to take over the reigns next year. Not sure whether to apply? We got in touch with last year’s exec team to see what they are doing now; if we can’t convince you to get involved, then why not see what they have to say? 

Sam Carey- Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor

After (reluctantly) leaving Nottingham, I treated myself to an unforgettable summer. A graduation, a 21st birthday and a couple of holidays later I had run out of money… Luckily for me, I’d already found my ‘dream job’: an Assistant Director position with Explore Learning. The job is, for me, the perfect opportunity to dip my fingers in to multiple pies! I get to work with kids aged 4 – 14, helping them to achieve their full potential in Maths and English. I also get extensive training in the managerial aspects of running a business – everything from finance to marketing to customer service, and so much more. And when that all gets a bit much, I can go and play a game of Uno with a bunch of 8 year olds and that still counts as work! Three months in, I can safely say there aren’t many jobs I would willingly work Saturdays for…but this is one of them! There are lots of opportunities to progress at Explore – I see myself staying there for at least another two or three years, if not longer. I’m keen to take every opportunity I can to get a clearer idea of “what I want to do when I grow up”!

Harriet Dunlea- Campus Correspondent and Co-Editor

Having finished my degree, I was thrown into the ‘real world’ within a couple of weeks of leaving Nottingham. I was really lucky to have secured an internship at Penguin Random House, where I was going to work in the marketing and publicity teams of their Cornerstone division for 10 weeks. This was basically my dream internship: I got paid to talk about amazing books all day long (there was some proper work involved too) and plan social media campaigns for backlist titles. On the last week of the internship I had an interview with independent children’s publisher Andersen Press for a Publicity and Marketing Assistant role and I got it! I now work on marketing campaigns for adorable children’s books, manage the company’s social media channels and help organise events. Considering the fact I’ve never properly grown up, I feel right at home working with children’s books!

Imey Vance- Co-Head of Social Media

What have I done since graduation? I was gutted to say goodbye to the lovely exec team and our beautiful UoN campus! The fact that the other Co-Head of Social Media Jo works just down the road from me has slightly cushioned the blow! After graduation I began a Social Media internship at Bright Network, instagramming pics of careers events instead of HC coffee quotes. Now I’m their Membership Manager – if anyone needs any careers advice let me know!

Joanna Webley-Brown- Co-Head of Social Media

Since graduating I interned at BBC Global News – which taught me so much about marketing and reinforced my desire to work in media. A personal highlight had to be casually (well, as casual as you can be in the situation) passing 50 Cent on my lunch break. Since November, I have been in a marketing and sales role with Entertainment One; it has been hard work but I love the challenge and to be part of fantastic social media campaigns for films such as The Cobbler and The Walk in The Woods has been really fun. This year I hope to work for more great companies and also go on a couple of long, cocktail-fuelled holidays.

Kimberley Bond-
Head of Publicity and Events

I’m currently doing an MA in Magazine Journalism at the University of Sheffield. It’s hard work; in the past week alone I had to submit a 3000 word essay and sit five exams (not to mention write two features portfolios!). I have 8am starts every day and I’m sometimes up all night working, but I’ve loved every minute of it so far and I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else.

When I started my final year, I wasn’t sure about what I wanted to do once I was finished my degree, and the prospect of starting life in the ‘real’ world unnerved me. It was Her Campus that spurred me on to thinking that maybe feature writing is something I could do as a career; I’d always enjoyed writing articles for the site and had steadily got more involved in the running of the website in my second year. Although being on the Her Campus committee in third year could sometimes be incredibly testing, it was one of the most rewarding things I did at university. I met some lovely people whilst in that role, and although it was so stressful at the time, the final Her Campus Fashion Show I organised in May was honestly one of the best nights of my life! 

Her Campus has opened doors for me after I left university; I’ve had work experience at Nottingham’s own LeftLion magazine as well as at the Mail on Sunday. So if you’re thinking of applying for a position on the Her Campus committee for the next academic year: do it. It’s a wonderful opportunity to work with some amazing people.

If you’re interested in applying to be part of next year’s exec team, get in touch at nottingham@hercampus.com for more information!