This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Nottingham Contemporary is an art gallery located in Lace Market, dedicated to connecting Nottingham residents to a range of contemporary artists and their work. The outside of the building is a work of art itself, though it looks quite industrial, it’s decorated with lace prints which take inspiration from Nottingham’s history of lace manufacturing. There are always lots of events going on inside – and all for free! If you’re feeling extra supportive there’s a suggested donation for each gallery. All exhibitions are spacious and well-lit, and if you go during the week you’re less likely to have people in the way of your photos.

CHARLOTTE JOHANNESSON:
Johannesson’s pieces are a variety of digital and hand-woven images, computer graphics plotted on paper and handwoven lace. All of these explore social and political themes in their time of creation, which was mostly 1970-90s.

Most of her digital print pieces don’t contain subjects and are made up of layering multiple keys and colours onto the page, like lines, 0’s and dots – a detail that can only really be noticed from close up but is so effective in its illusion. Her work is stylistic in its resistance and reminiscent of pop art in its layering of colours. By inviting the digital world into the artistic one, Johannesson unites different mediums to combat messages about one topic.

ROSALIND NASHASHIBI: HOOKS
Nottingham Contemporary is supporting London-based artist Rosalind Nashashibi with her biggest exhibition of paintings to date. Nashashibi is better known for her films, but as a rising painter, she mostly uses canvas or linen as the foundation, before building up her colourful abstract creations on top in oil paint.
She uses the motif of split openings like doors and windows and explores the way they work in her painted image in multiple ways -even using split canvases. This mirrors her interest in films and collaborative projects in how there’s a sense of continuation and stillness captured in her work, it feels interruptive and intrusive to be looking at a seemingly private moment. Her works are abstract yet painterly in the way that she doesn’t hide her brush marks and her use of colour in each piece proves bold as they’re in block segments, and she mostly uses cold colours. All these elements combine to create a sense of movement in her works as if each painting is a snapshot from a scene, a moment of calm before the storm.

CAROLYN LAZARD: LONG TAKE
In Carolyn Lazard’s first solo exhibition in the UK, their immersive performance art plays on the senses and the lack of them. The dark room has a few seating options, inviting you to sit and stay while you listen to the noises that echo around the room. A voice narrates the movement of a dancer, while you can hear their footsteps and heavy breathing. Though the lack of sight can make you feel isolated, the exhibition really seems to be about unity as with the presence of the narrator and dancer you’re never left in silence, and you’re less likely to notice the lack of people physically around you.

If you’re feeling like you need a break (or escape) after concentrating hard on trying to work out the meaning behind the artwork, downstairs is Blend. A café which offers your classic coffee shop drinks and delicious snacks. It’s spacious, quiet (at least when I’ve been) and offers the perfect vibes to romanticise doing work on your laptop, reading or simply for a breather.

It’s likely that on your way out, or in, you’ll get caught up in the gift shop, they’ve got plenty to browse, from artsy books to artist-themed door stoppers. In their display cabinets, they showcase an artist of the month, while they also display beautifully crafted pieces by independent businesses from a variety of makers.

Each of these exhibitions are on display from the 11th of February till the 7th of May 2023, and I highly recommend you visit them! It’s a great way to learn more about the arts and show your appreciation, especially in a city so full of creative individuals and businesses.

Deniz Kalayci-Clow

Nottingham '24

Deniz Kalayci-Clow is the co-editor at the Nottingham chapter of Her Campus, she oversees and guides her team of writers, reading and editing a range of topics in weekly articles and publishing them on the website. Her interests include supporting local businesses by introducing fellow readers to the creative corners and helping them feel more comfortable by guiding them through the city. She is currently a final year English student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she balances work, creative outlets like art, tries out different forms of exercise, and makes use of any excuse to have a sweet treat to get through the day.