This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

After I asked this question to my housemates, and one of them replied ‘a G-string and nothing else’, I thought it was probably high time I wrote this article. First dates are tricky to dress for because it’s hard to judge selectively what’s appropriate; technically they may have already seen you in your bra if you ran into your date whilst the Baywatch song was on in Ocean last Friday. A first date may blossom from a beautiful friendship that’s always had an undercurrent of flirty banter, or it might be a slightly more spontaneous and noticeably less romantic Tinder hook-up, but no matter how you’ve met them, here are some failsafe looks for your first date.

Dinner and a Movie

A classic first date scenario is dinner and a film; it’s something you can dress up or down for. To be in keeping with this season’s prettiest print, try this floral skater dress from Missguided; it’s casual enough to be worn during the day for a more spontaneous meeting, but it can also be teamed with some black ankle boots and a leather jacket (or gilet, considering the rapidly approaching summer weather) for a slightly edgier look. Its effortless girliness means that you can look chic without looking like you tried too hard.

Missguided, £24.99

Bowling

Bowling is a brilliant activity for a first date; the chilled out, friendly atmosphere helps breaks the ice and often makes for a more casual date. Keep things simple with your outfit too; a pair of well-fitting blue skinny jeans teamed with a summery vest and some well -worn white Converse is an ideal combination for a trip down the bowling alley. Topshop’s jeans and vests are always of top quality, but if you’re on a budget (and let’s face it, we’re all students here) H&M does a very similar outfit for £18 – top and jeans here. 

Schuh, £45

Drinks

Nottingham is home to some great bars; from Wetherspoon’s to Coco Tang, there’s a bar for every budget. Obviously, going out to Coco Tang for drinks differs greatly outfit-wise from going out to Wetherspoon’s. For a more formal first date, try a midi-skirt and blouse pairing, such as this blouse from H&M, for only £7.50. This bright blue midi skirt from ASOS adds a flirty pop of colour to brighten the outfit. Alternatively, you could try this navy blue maxi skirt from Topshop – the open leg allows you to flash a suggestive and subtle hint of flesh without being too outlandish. 

A more informal meet up down the local calls for something casual. This cami from ASOS doesn’t break the bank at £10, and can be teamed with these acid wash skinny jeans from New Look, so you’re simultaneously on trend and suitably dressed for your first date! 

Topshop, £20

Edited by Luisa Parnell

I am a third year (eek!) English student at the University of Nottingham. When I'm not blogging from behind my laptop, you will find me reading, writing and being your general English Lit student.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!