burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Not to Wear to a Gig

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Some know-it-all, up-themselves, self confessed ‘gig expert’ might tell you that there are certain rules you MUST follow when going to a gig otherwise you’ll look like an idiot. This is rubbish. As long as you’re comfortable, wear whatever the hell you like. These are just a few tips of things to avoid to make you more comfortable and enhance your experience:

1)      Big jumpers/cardigans

I went to see Kids in Glass Houses at Rescue Rooms last week, and it was one of the warmest gigs I’ve ever been to. What was I wearing? A fluffy jumper. It was great for the walk there from Lenton in the chilly night air but not as much when I started to sweat so much that the fluff was sticking to me and I had to peel it off a few songs in to the set. Terrible mistake on my part, but luckily I took a bag big enough for it to fit in. So wearing too many layers is a massive hassle (unless you want to pay usually extortionate prices for the cloakroom, depending on where you are), even if you’re seated they can get in the way. A bag can be handy for this, which leads on to my next point…

2)      Big bags

Yes, they may be useful for putting coats etc. in, but they get in your (and everyone else’s) way, especially if you’re trying to dance and jump around. Unless there’s some specific reason you need a lot of things that will only fit in a substantially-sized bag, what do you really need to take to a gig? You’re phone, some money, maybe some lippy? All things that, if you plan your outfit well enough, will fit in your pockets or a small, preferably over the shoulder, bag.

3)      Heels

Maybe if you’re going to a super posh concert or the opera, but probably not the best idea for a pop/rock concert, even if you’re seated. Heels are uncomfortable at the best of times and you don’t want to be getting blisters as a souvenir from the gig. Stick to the good memories and maybe an overpriced t-shirt.

4)      Long Necklaces

If you’re going to be jumping/moshing/crowd surfing you don’t want to be wearing jewellery that could fall off or smack you in the face (speaking from experience, unfortunately..), or anything expensive that could get broken. So keep it sensible; as obvious as that may sound, like I say, I have injured myself making the mistake of a long necklace in the past, and I have friends that have lost rings, earrings, bracelets… you name it.

And finally, if you like the artist, wear as much of their merchandise as you like to their concert. You clearly like them, you’ve paid to watch them, so do what you want and don’t take any notice of the gig fashion police!

Image Sources

Tumblr

Edited by Amelia Bauer-Madden

Current third year English and History student, with a love of music, and lots of opinions. 
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!