This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

You only have to scroll through Facebook or Twitter to see an article about how our oceans are turning to plastic or that whales are dying on beaches quicker than you can say ‘can I have a straw please?’ It really is terrifying to see what mindless human behaviour is doing to the planet, but there are things we can all do to help protect our beautiful water babies and prevent the planet from turning into artifice. Small, simple changes that are environmentally and economically friendly is all it takes.

Here are a few things I’ve been trying out. You can do all of them, or even just pick one. Whatever you do, you’ll be helping to reduce the impact you have on the planet, and be part of the solution to the plastic problem.

1. Tote bags

Everyday we buy plastic bags when we shop, and that bag filled with bags under the sink just gets bigger and bigger. Instead, we can switch to using a tote bag. Take it to the supermarket, or even to town when you embark upon some much needed retail therapy. Not only will you be saving the planet, but they look amazing. My favourites are from Wyatt and Jack. They’re ‘upcycled’ from things like bouncy castles, deck chairs, you name it. They’re a bit pricey, but with Christmas around the corner, why not put it on your wish list or treat someone to one?

2. Water bottles  

This is definitely the easiest change, and the most cost effective. Last week, a whale was found on the beach with 5kg of plastic in its stomach, and most of it was plastic bags and bottles. Some people will buy a single use water bottle every day, spending an average of £1 each time. Even if you only bought one bottle a week, if you did that for a year, that’s £52! By making the switch, not only are you saving the sea, you’re saving your money. It’s great because it’s durable and has a hydration tracker on the side, so if you’re rubbish at drinking water like me, then I highly recommend it. You can go fancy if you’d prefer and try a Chilly’s Bottles which is a bit more expensive, but even then, you could buy two of these for the same price as buying a single use bottle every week. Just keep it in your bag and fill it up everywhere you go. If nothing else, you’ll be hydrated!

3. Cleansing cloths

While the other two are a bit more mainstream, this one was something I’d never thought of before. For those of us who wear makeup, I think this is a really important change to make. I think most of us lean towards makeup wipes or cleanser and cotton pads, but these are so bad for the environment. They’re not recyclable so go straight into landfill. I’ve been using a cloth instead, and I love it. Just cover your face with makeup remover if you use a cream, or squirt it onto the cloth, and wipe your makeup away. Every few days, simply wash the cloth in the washing machine when you wash your clothes. Its more cost effective than having to buy pads or wipes every month, and you don’t have to worry about non-recyclable packaging that it comes in. The best bit about this is that you don’t have to go and spend a fortune on a branded cleansing cloth either. I use microfibre cloths from Spar which cost me £1 for 4. They’re amazing at removing makeup as the microfibres cling to your skin and lift out dirt.

4. Menstrual cup  

And finally, the most amazing invention that I have ever come across. The menstrual cup. Don’t let me scare you off with this one, because trust me, it will change your life. I’ve been using one of these for about 6 months now and I couldn’t be happier. Instead of using tampons and sanitary towels which contribute massively to the worlds waste problem, I have a single silicone cup that tends to all my period needs. You fold it up and insert it into your vagina much like a tampon, then empty and wash it, and reuse. They have a lifetime guarantee so I’ll never have to buy tampons ever again. I got mine from amazon for £17, and while that might seem expensive, I haven’t had to buy any sanitary products for 6 months. Say a box of tampons costs £3, and you use a box per month. That would mean in the past 6 months I would have spent £18 on single use products. I’ll let you do the maths.

So, those are just a few things I’ve been trying out in the past few months. Making these small changes has made me feel better about myself, I’m saving money, and I’m saving the planet. Give one of them a try.

1

2

Siobhan Fitzsimons

Nottingham '19

Hey! I'm Siobhan, and I'm a History student in my final year. I'm a lover of all things food, fashion, and travel. Expect much appreciation of denim dungarees and an awful lot of rambling about university life!
Hey, I'm Chloe Jade Clarke. I studied at the University of Nottingham for a degree in English and Philosophy from 2016-2019. During my time here I started out in journalism as a reviewer for Her Campus Nottingham before being promoted to Campus Correspondent (editor-in-chief) in my third year. After graduation, I will be training for my News Journalism MA at Cardiff University. Here are a selection of articles that I've written over the past couple of years; I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them!