What Am I Going To Do After I Graduate? The Post-Grad Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Let me set the scene for you… it’s Christmas, you have a glass of prosecco in hand, feeling pleasantly satisfied with the roast dinner you have just devoured, and you are surrounded by all your long distant and immediate family, and the most common topic of conversation or question asked is “So… what’s the plan after you graduate?”. I honestly don’t think I have enough fingers on my hands to count the number of times I have had to answer this question. 

It’s not that I don’t appreciate people showing an interest in my life. I’m just tired of answering, “Oh, I’m not really too sure actually, I’m just focusing on graduating first, but I’m thinking about travelling”, and that not being a sufficient answer. To then have to deal with the dreaded replies of “Why don’t you just apply to some jobs?”, or “No, don’t travel, start earning money or there was no point in going to University”. 

Daily, my mind is consumed by the complexities surrounding graduating. As desperate as I am to finish my degree and have a break from academia, I feel as though I am already grieving this period of my life nearly being over. The conflict of trying to make the most out of every second, socialising and meeting new people, mixed with the looming dissertation deadline, final exam season and academic burnout, it’s hard to know whether I am sad or excited to be finishing in less than 4 months. 

My relationship with Nottingham is complex to say the least, and as much as I appreciate what Nottingham has been for me, I know I am ready to move onto the next period of my life. But I have no idea what this ‘next period of my life’ is, and this thought has led me to this article. If you’re a final year student like me, this one’s for you, and I hope you can somewhat relate to my post-grad crisis. 

Travel

Let’s start with travel…. Ideally, like most students, the moment I graduate and finish my summer internship I’d get myself on the next plane to South America or South-East Asia and have my gap year travelling around the world. However, for me, this isn’t financially possible without working for a while, which leads to the debate: do I just start working or do I save up and quit my job later? I know deep down that if I was to work, I’d get caught up in the job and be so focused on the next promotion, which would cause me to never travel or take the break I know I need . 

So, I have come up with a new solution: find a paid internship abroad or teach English as a foreign language. Though getting a short-term contract job abroad with visa issues can be tough, it is possible! I have found that some companies will pay for the accommodation/ flights, and this takes out a huge expense. Another option, many post-grad students look to do is a ski season, as not only is this a chance to meet new people and live in another country for 4-6 months, but it is also an opportunity to ski every day and potentially save up some money to travel after.

With travelling, where there is a will, there is a way. It may take time to save up money, or it may take time to find an internship or work experience abroad; but I think it is worth every single moment, and this is something that I will, in time, figure out how I will make it possible. 

Masters

Ah masters, the panic masters that crosses all students’ minds at some stage in final year, in effort to further procrastinate adult life and continue the university lifestyle. For me, I know that I cannot go into a masters straight out of university. Not only for burnout and financial reasons, but also to make sure it is actually something I want to do and will benefit me in the future. Currently, I am looking to do my masters in Copenhagen so I can live and study abroad again, but whether I will do this is a whole other question. So, the planned year out is where I plan to research and decide if I want to put myself through academic stress again.

Job/ Graduate Scheme

As an Economics student, the pressure that final year students have to secure a graduate scheme straight out of university is crazy. Having been on the Women in Finance Committee in my third year and applied to hundreds of summer internships and spring weeks over the course of my degree, I can understand the number of hours and dedication that application seasons take. The only thing I knew coming out of university was that I needed for my own sanity to take a gap year, therefore, I didn’t apply to any graduate schemes, and instead applied for an internship over the summer to gain some more experience. 

I’ve found it’s been difficult to ignore the pressures of everyone telling me I need to get a job, because I know that for the sake of my mental health, I need to take some time to heal and rest, and if I go straight into a job, I will burn out the second I begin. I can’t help but listen to the voice in my head that’s so ready to “settle down” and live out my post-grad life in Clapham, living with friends, going on Saturday morning runs and live out the corporate girliepop lifestyle, because this excites me so much and I cannot wait for this period of my life.

Ultimately, my post-grad expectations of experience have come down to blocking out other people’s opinions and just focusing on what feels right for me. I will graduate at 22, and I have my whole life ahead of me to decide exactly what I want to do. I will never be young again and I don’t want to rush into something without knowing what’s right for me. My best advice is to try to block out anyone telling you what to do and do what feels right for you, no matter what that is! Because I will probably take a month to just lay on the sofa and read and watch tv …. and that’s okay! 

Amy Applegate

Nottingham '24

Blogger at Her Campus Nottingham <3 Third Year Economics with Hispanic Studies Student