yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

Well Plaid: How to Wear This Season’s Hottest Print

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s October and time to get excited for our winter wardrobes! The 2013 summer was all about simplicity. The clean cuts and monochrome colours, however, are being given a backseat to an old favourite this fall, Plaid.

Although Plaid never really went out of favour with the fashionistas, it had gone underground since the grungy skater looks of the late 90s. This is about to change. Whether dressing head to toe in it or merely throwing an accent of it into an outfit, this print will soon be a wardrobe necessity.

Here are a few examples of how to get this seasons print into your every day wear:

Plaid is a multifaceted print that can be used to achieve several different looks. Whether you need a casual comfy daytime look or a more formal evening outfit, plaid has it covered.

The must have item in any wardrobe is a plaid shirt. This goes for any wardrobe, any season, any year. The plaid shirt is one of the most diverse pieces that a girl can have in her wardrobe. Whether you’re going to wear it closed, open with a logo tee underneath or tied around your waist, it will style up any plain outfit.

The High Street shops that will become your go to when achieving these looks are; Zara, Brandy Melville, Topshop and for those slouchy boyfriend shirts, head over to a local charity shop.

Regular celebrities endorse plaid in their day-to-day wear range from Lindsay Lohan to Gwen Stefani and Jessica Alba. Although it may seem like an inherently American trend, our English fashionistas such as Alexa Chung, Rita Ora and even Princess Kate Middleton have recently adopted it.

The celebrities undeniably took inspiration from the Fall 13 fashion week catwalks. Big hitters such as Marc Jacobs, Belstaff and Gryphon were promoting plaid as the look to have, and managed to transform the lumberjacks favourite garment into an effortlessly chic desirable. Our own girl Victoria Beckham has even been one to jump on the bandwagon in her latest designs.

If, however, you do not own a money tree and need the look for less, then these are a few affordable plaid favourites I have my eye on:

Coat: Zara, £89

Top: Zara, £39.99

Bottoms: Zara, £39.99

Student at The University of Nottingham, England.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!