Weird and Wonderful News of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Rather than give you a traditional run-down of the week’s news, this week Her Campus Nottingham have decided to round up the bizarre, funny and adorable stories we’ve found from around the web…

The Weird

– We know them for bargain flights, zero legroom, and a questionable colour scheme, but one unlucky group of passengers on a recent EasyJet flight will forever remember them for something very different. On Wednesday, police intercepted a flight from Israel to London after a snake was found hidden in a takeaway box. Yes, you read that right. They had been given a tip-off regarding a non-poisonous reptile smuggled onboard, which had managed to slip through security. One passenger tweeted: “My Plane is being met by police because someone brought a snake on board and whipped it out mid flight. Never a dull moment with easyjet”.

– Last week, R Kelly fans in Louisiana waited patiently for the star to take to the stage after dropping $150 per ticket. During the five-minute performance that followed concertgoers started to notice that something wasn’t quite right. And that something was that it was in fact professional impersonator ‘R Jelly’ (we hadn’t heard of him either) and R Kelly wasn’t even in the building. Fans are demanding their money back and we’ve been introduced to the existence of R Jelly.

– A wallaby was captured in Kentish Town, North London on Thursday, after sightings had entertained locals for the past couple of weeks. The RSPCA managed to capture the wallaby when it entered a school playground, despite arriving expecting to find a big rabbit. One of the rescuers said, “‘I’ve worked for the RSPCA for nine years and this is my first wallaby”, and are now attempting to find a permanent home. The wallaby has been named Jean and now has a twitter and hilarious Buzzfeed dedicated to it.

The Wonderful

– School can be a tough place, and all the more so for Keith Orr, a middle school child from Michigan with behavioural and learning difficulties. His football team wanted to make his dream come true: to score his first ever touchdown at the next home game. They devised a plan (which was kept secret from everyone but the players) and during the game created a wall around him to protect him from the other team, whilst he ran to score the touchdown. A fellow player said afterwards: “It’s just like to make someone’s day, make someone’s week, just make them happy”.

– A new report by UNICEF has revealed that 90 million children’s lives across the world have been saved since 1990 thanks to global and national action. The report showed that the annual under-five mortality rate has fallen from 12.6 million in 1990 to 6.6 million in 2012, whilst low-income countries with high child mortality rates like Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Liberia, Malawi, Nepal and United Republic of Tanzania, have reduced their under-five mortality rates by two-thirds or more since. We still have a long way to go but these figures are promising and show that “government, civil society and private sector action” is working.

– We all love a good baby Youtube video and this one that has been doing the rounds this week is an extra special one. The video features a little baby girl trying her best to hold back the tears while her Mum sings Rod Stewart’s ‘My Heart Can’t Tell You No’. Daily dose of cute = sorted. 

Sources:

Huffington Post, Metro.co.uk and thepositive.com

Images from: 

Edited by Caroline Chan

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.