brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We Tried Red Nose Day’s 24 Hour Digital Detox

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For Red Nose Day this year, many social media influencers took part in a 24-hour digital detox called #REDOUT; I thought I’d give it a go myself. Social media is continuing to grow very rapidly, and it can often interfere with just about everything! At 12am on Tuesday night I deleted all of my social media apps including Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, ready to start my detox on Wednesday morning. I originally planned on doing a complete digital detox, but with essay deadlines approaching I decided that probably wasn’t the best decision. Here are a few of my findings…

1. I was a lot more productive and actually completed my daily to-do list (for the first time in months – yay!).

2. I focussed on myself and what I was doing rather being concerned with everyone else.

3. I actually paid way more attention to my lectures that day which resulted in having way less work to do that night!

4. My walk to university was a lot more enjoyable. Rather than walking with my head down with my eyes glued to my phone, I took in what was around me. It gave me a wake-up call to embrace and appreciate our amazing campus more often.

5. I got to sleep a lot quicker. Usually, I’d spend hours scrolling through social media before I sleep. Instead, I decided to start a new book called ‘Everything, Everything’ which is actually being released in cinemas soon!

All in all, I’d say it was definitely a positive experience and I urge you all to take some time out and focus on yourself, rather than what everyone else is doing. It’s really refreshing. Going forward, I’m going to try to do this once a week – “less scrolling, more living”.

Sources:

www.theodysseyonline.com

http://sayingpictures.blogspot.co.uk

Youtube.com