Vinyl Collecting: Fad or Fashion?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

In our generation many more of us are buying into dated methods of listening to music such as buying vinyl and getting a record player. This vintage expression of art appeals to an older generation through nostalgic dreams, and thrift shopping for us: the thrill brought on by hunting through boxes of unknown records with obscure artwork. However, is it a hobby to be enjoyed by people of our age or simply a craze to appear ‘indie’ and ‘hipster’? Some may say this creates an elitist audience as it takes the hobby of listening to music one step further by showing appreciation to an artist by buying their vinyl. The vinyl is romantic in itself with its use of packaging; the gentle feel before steadily placing it onto a turntable is all the more appealing.

This latest craze brought about Record Store Day where fanatics gather in London to explore independent stores selling vinyl records. This unique culture gathers ‘to celebrate the art of music’ and enjoy promotional products, witness exclusive performances, and have meet & greets with artists. For any of those interested in this, click here for more information.

On the other hand, a steady incline in purchases would be more preferable as opposed to selling them second hand on eBay (because vinyl records retain their value no matter what the condition). Unfortunately, not all bands can afford to put their stuff on vinyl making the record store a ‘rich kid’s playground’. This of course, goes against the idea that thrift shopping is cheap and reinforces how some students are unable to afford such records, instead choosing to make use of the free music and pirating abundant online.

Record collectors themselves are becoming well-known and are grouped into categories and given lists on what to be aware of before collecting. BBC news named the ‘eight tribes of vinyl collector’ with idealistic social groups to be associated with such as, ‘the romantic musician’ and ‘the young enthusiast’. There is a group for everyone who wishes to collect to associate themselves with. The real question is, is it still just fashionable to have the artist on vinyl or is it about the love of good music?

Personally, I think it’s both. There can be those people who buy vinyl records to appear alternative, but there are also those who truly appreciate the music and the nostalgia which comes along with it. It’s like, breaking down the fourth wall; listening to Bob Dylan as your parents may have done before you when breaking through the gates of the Isle of Wight festival. A sensation can be uncovered through thinking back to ‘the good old days’. It’s a real connection with the music and possibly helps you interpret the song how the artist intended.

References:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jun/21/vinyl-record-collector-sales-jack-white

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26990263

Edited by Amelia Bauer-Madden

Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!