This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Many of us have the amazing opportunity of studying abroad, but a lot of us don’t and get a lot of f.o.m.o. from seeing everyones photos of frat parties. But which country really is better for the University experience…?

Parties

As the drinking age in America is 21, most students don’t experience the true nightlife until well into their third year of university. Until then, the partying takes place behind closed doors in house parties and frat (fraternity) parties. These giant house parties can be loads of fun (and did I mention free) yet I believe nothing truly beats a round of Jägerbombs at your favourite club with your closest friends.

Societies

One of the main differences between British and American universities is the organisations that are on offer on campus. A large majority of US universities are dominated by Greek life and culture. Fraternities are organizations for men as sororities are organizations for women. Each society shares secret rituals, arranges philanthropy events and creates social gatherings within the chapter as well as in the Greek community. For some, joining a fraternity or sorority enables them to find a close-knit community within a huge university campus, making it easier to develop everlasting friendships. Perks also include living in a mansion with 100 other people and having a closetful of clothing showing your sorority or fraternity spirit. This can be an amazing opportunity for some, however Greek life can sometimes create social boundaries based on stereotypes of the sorority or fraternity you are part of.

Workload

In the UK, most of your course assessment will consist of coursework and final exams. However, at most universities in America, professors will always keep you on your toes with extra work worth small percentages. This can include points for class participation and small quizzes (tests) to check your understanding. Although this allows you to have more opportunities to improve your grades, it can sometimes lead to a lot of unwanted stress midway through the term.

Accommodation

First year students in the UK live in single rooms; a state of luxury when compared to US students. In American universities, you will most likely be sharing a tiny room with a complete stranger for the entirety of your first year. Your privacy is completely thrown out the window. You may become best friends with your first-year roomie, or be in a constant state of conflict. No matter the circumstances, being in such close quarters with another person definitely teaches you virtues of tolerance and adaptability.

Sports

In most large state schools in America, sport is like a religion. The atmosphere is like no other as everyone comes out to support their team. Americans love to show their school spirit by dressing up from head to toe in their school colours. When the students pack into the stadium no one can resist belting their heart out to the school’s fight song. Basketball and American football players are given celebrity status within the university. It seems that sports in America are taken a lot more seriously than in the UK, but both British and American students show their school spirit and love of sport in different ways.

Let us know your experiences of University in America or England, and where you think is best to go!

Edited by: Tia Ralhan

Sources:

http://giphy.com/

http://infotainmentnews.net/2012/07/13/the-difference-between-british-an…