Two Different Podcasts, but Two That You Definitely Need to Listen to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Podcasts are coming more and more popular with young people, and with lots of different streaming apps providing them free of charge, I’m definitely on board. I’ve listened to my fair share over the past year or so, but theres two that I will recommend until I’m blue in the face. They’re very different, but regardless of my mood, I find that both of them are really entertaining. The first is My Dad Wrote A Porno, presented by a hilarious trio of university friends, who read and comment on some quite questionable ‘erotica’ (come on, the clue is in the name). The second is Adulting, by the immensely intelligent and glamorous Oenone Forbat, who is joined by a host of incredible women who help her figure out what it means to be a millennial growing up into an ‘adult’.

My Dad Wrote A Porno

I was introduced to this podcast by a friend more than two years ago, and I’ve practically laughed my way to rock solid abs in that time by listening to this podcast at any chance I get. (Okay, the abs thing is a lie, and laughing out loud in the middle of the street on my walk to uni is probably more the size of it.) The presenters, Jamie Morton, Alice Levine, and James Cooper listen to Jamie reading his dads ‘erotic literature’, a series of books called Belinda Blinked, and comment on its grammatical errors, it’s questionable plot and its many holes, and his extremely inaccurate understanding of the female anatomy. The trio have recorded four series of the podcast, have topped the UK podcast chart, and even ended up doing a worldwide live show tour showcasing ‘the lost chapter’. The story follows Belinda Blumenthal on her journey to the top of cookware industry as she lands a new job as sales director of Steel’s Pots and Pans. Jamie’s narration is top notch and Alice and James’ commentary is tear-inducingly funny. They’ve even introduced ‘the footnotes’ where they invite celebrity guests, which has included Dame Emma Thompson, George Ezra and Mara Wilson, to discuss the weeks chapter with them I’m warning you though, if you listen to it in public, be ready to have people give you some funny looks, as you’ll be laughing the whole time. Here’s the blurb of the first book, just to give you a little teaser of whats to come, if I haven’t managed to convince you…

‘A modern story of sex, erotica and passion. How the sexiest salesgirl in business earnt her huge bonus by being the best at removing her high heels’.

Adulting

On a completely different note, this relatively addition to the podcasting world is a conversational podcast, where Oenone, an instagrammer and entrepreneur has talks with influential and inspiring women to figure out what it means to be a woman becoming an adult. She discusses sexual and mental health, race, managing money, cultural appropriation, veganism, fast fashion and so much

more, all with a feminist twist, which I love. She is so intelligent and open minded, and her down to earth nature makes listening to her podcast feel like you’re getting a nice warm hug. Every episode leaves me having learnt something important, and made me feel more confident about being a woman, and expressing my views on the world. She manages to say with such eloquence and grace, all of the stuff that whizzing round in my head. I’m envious, but also incredibly grateful to her for it. Her attitude towards ‘social influencers’ on Instagram and Youtube is really refreshing. She doesn’t act as though she has all the answers, she’s in the same boat as the listener, who is just trying to figure out what on earth it means to grow up and become an adult. Its well worth a listen, and trust me, you’ll become addicted!

image 1

image 2

Siobhan Fitzsimons

Nottingham '19

Hey! I'm Siobhan, and I'm a History student in my final year. I'm a lover of all things food, fashion, and travel. Expect much appreciation of denim dungarees and an awful lot of rambling about university life!