Turtle Bay: Nottingham’s Caribbean Dining Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

For many of us, cooking can be a chore and if you are not a culinary god or goddess, cooking more than a bowl of pasta can seem laborious. Going out to eat might be the last thing we budget for during our time at university but sometimes we all deserve a treat. Evidently Nottingham is not the gastronomic capital of the United Kingdom, but alongside the many high street restaurants there are a few gems and Turtle Bay is one of them.

Turtle Bay aims to whisk you away from the grey Nottingham sky and transport you to the laid back shores of the Caribbean. The menu, which is bursting with authentic Caribbean dishes, is nicely accompanied by a substantial cocktail list, great décor and relaxed atmosphere. Even the music can have you singing along whilst you are tucking into Jerk ribs and sweet potato fries.

With starters costing £4.95 each, lunch and light snacks for £6 and main courses from £9.50, it’s great value for money. Plus, all cocktails are 2 for 1 between 12pm and 7pm and later on from 10pm. The meals aimed at lunchtime customers but available throughout the day are definitely big enough for those of us blessed with smaller appetites. The Pull Jerked Bun with sweet potato fries was as big as some of the main courses and only cost £6.

The staple ingredient at Turtle Bay is Jerk BBQ sauce and many of the courses are cooked in the Jerk Pit, the ultimate Caribbean barbeque. However, if you don’t fancy something from the Pit, there is a selection of Caribbean curry pots and for the more adventurous amongst you, there is goat on the menu! All the ingredients are sourced both locally and from the Caribbean shores and many of the dishes do have a spicy kick to them. However, for people a bit scared of spice, our waitress was able to point out the milder dishes and suggested that leaving the extra jerk BBQ sauce on the side was the best option for spice intolerant guests.

Everyone loved their meals and some, including myself, still had room for dessert. I chose the Banana and Toffee Cheesecake, which was possibly the best cheesecake I have ever had! Their cocktails range from traditional Mojitos and Long Island Iced Teas to Caribbean inspired drinks such as Reggae Sunsplash and Jamaican Mule. A selection of alcohol free Caribbean softs is also available,
which are especially refreshing if you are nursing a hangover. The homemade ginger beer and limeade went down a treat.

Turtle Bay is a great change of scenery from student favourites, Nando’s and YO!Sushi, and the all round dining experience is the best I have experienced in Nottingham. If you fancy it, we recommend booking a table as its popularity is increasing by the day.

For more information and to check out Turtle Bay’s menu for yourself go to:

Alice Hajek

Nottingham

Anna is a 4th year student at the University of Nottingham. She studies American Studies and completed a year abroad at the University of Illinois, USA in 2011/12 where she found her passion for Her Campus by working for Her Campus Illinois as a news editorial intern. After graduating, Anna wishes to pursue her dream of moving to London (or even the US eventually!) and working in something creative and fast-paced, whether it be editing, fashion journalism, PR or publishing. Hobbies (/obsessions) include fashion, shopping, traveling, music and, most importantly, food.