element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top TV Specials To See This Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s also the most wonderful day for the TV guide, so here’s a rundown of what’s on this year for you to watch between eating Christmas dinner and playing charades!

Strictly Come Dancing (BBC 1)

This annual special sees six celebrities from previous years return to the Strictly ballroom. Colin Jackson, Kimberley Walsh, Robbie Savage, Katie Derham, Jeremy Vine and Judy Murray all battle it out once again for the glitterball trophy this Christmas.

The Great Christmas Bake Off (Channel 4)

The Bake Off is back once again as eight former bakers return to the tent to compete to become Christmas Star Baker (including last year’s Selasi Gbormittah!), along with judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith and hosts Sandy Toksvig and Noel Fielding. Featuring musical guests, questionable Christmas jumpers and some festive singing.

Call the Midwife (BBC 1)

After last year’s special set in the heat of South Africa, Sister Jullienne (Jenny Agutter) attempts to bring together a family broken apart by a cruel father. Meanwhile, the residents of Nonnatus house face The Big Freeze in 1963, as the coldest winter in 300 years hits Poplar.

Victoria (ITV1)

Queen Victoria (Jenna Coleman) and Prince Albert (Tom Hughes) are back in Victoria’s first Christmas special, following on from last season’s end in October. Set in 1846, a pregnant Victoria struggles to prepare for the festive season without her beloved Baroness Lehzen. She is frustrated by her husband’s desire to celebrate the perfect Christmas, as he brings over traditions from Germany, including the Christmas tree.

Travel Man: 48 Hours in Hong Kong (Channel 4)

Richard Ayoade’s Travel Man is back this Christmas for a two-day jaunt in Hong Kong. The show’s previous guest stars have included comedians such as Sally Philips, as well as Hollywood royalty including Paul Rudd and Rebel Wilson. This year, Ayoade has teamed up with Mad Men star Jon Hamm(!) to wander round the Asian hotspot for what is sure to be another hilarious and informative trip.

Miranda Does Christmas (Channel 4)

Miranda Hart presents a one-off Christmas party this year on Channel 4, celebrating everything that makes (and doesn’t make) Christmas so amazing! Complete with famous guests, festive surprises and answers to the most pressing Christmas questions.

The Miniaturist (BBC 1)

Adapted from Jessie Burton’s bestselling novel of the same name, this two-part series set in Amsterdam in 1686, follows Nella Oortman as she begins a new life as the wife of a wealthy Dutch merchant. Starring Anya Taylor Joy and Romola Garai.

Doctor Who (BBC 1)

Peter Capaldi’s twelfth Doctor will embark on a mission with the First Doctor (David Bradley) in ‘Twice Upon A Time’. But all good things must come to an end, as Capaldi’s era closes to open the doors for Broadchurch’s Jodie Whittaker as she takes her place as the thirteenth Doctor this Christmas Day.

Little Women (BBC 1)

A three-part adaptation of Louisa May Alcott’s timeless coming-of-age novel ‘Little Women’. Set during the American Civil War, the four March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy confront family tragedies, romantic rivalries and their cranky Aunt March, played by the legendary Angela Lansbury.

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!