Top Tips to Ensure a Successful 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

It’s still January, which means it’s not too late to make a resolution for the new year! HC Nottingham gives you some tips for making the best of 2014.

1. Probably the most important one that most people who are over-enthusiastic about the New Year get wrong: fitness regimes, mad diets, gym memberships – simple answer, don’t rush into things.

It’s much better practice to plan in advance and ensure that what you are doing is going to work in the long-run, because if you’re only going to stick at it for a month, what’s the point?

It’s a known fact that mad diets often only work in the short-term and some are in fact unhealthy. Why not take little steps, swapping something bad in your diet for a healthy alternative, giving up something for a year, something you feel you can maintain.

Remember also! You can get just as good results doing workouts at home as you can at a gym. Unless you’re really committed right from the start, don’t line the pockets of the gym owners. They’ll already be getting plenty from those who have fallen into the ‘New-Year-Fitness-Fanatic’ trap.

1. This almost runs alongside the previous tip but, set out clear goals for the year in your head; things you want to achieve, things you want to do.

This of course can be anything academic or anything at all for that matter. A place you’ve wanted to visit for years, a specific grade you wish to achieve. Having specific goals set in your mind will help to keep you focused and driven throughout the year, ensuring you make the most of it. Feeling the pressure of attaining these goals? Check the next tip for help with that.  

1. Directly contradicting the previous tip; don’t hold too many expectations.

Yes – as I’ve mentioned – it’s a good idea to have some goals set in your mind for the year, otherwise you’ll end up wandering around aimlessly, thinking, what a waste? But ensure your goals are flexible and take each chance, surprise situation and barrier in your life this year as a challenge, something to better yourself. Remember, if you don’t have too many expectations then you can’t be disappointed = happier you = positive vibes = others are happier = fun times!

1. As a great man once sang, Change is Gonna Come (Olly Murs for non-fanatics)

All of these tips pretty much run hand in hand together but changes within your life, unexpected or not, are inevitably going to occur and from experience it would be stupid to say that it isn’t hard. But if you stick with the mantra that everything happens for a reason and embrace the change, it can be a lot less daunting. I guarantee you’ll look back at some point and think, “why did I fret so much over that, look where it’s led me to!” as you’re sat on your yacht, drinking champagne, overlooking your empire.

1. Fifth and finally (and perhaps slightly off topic a little), here are two top destinations for holidays this year as well as one highlight event that is surely a huge thing for our generation (potential bias here in some cases).

Brazil -If you’re a fan of football (and have a lot of money) Brazil is the holiday location for you this summer with the prestigious World Cup being held there from June 12th to July 13th.

Bordeaux, France – Fancy yourself as a wine connoisseur?  Or just fancy the hustle and bustle of an elegant French city? Get yourself to Bordeaux then, where its wine festival takes place from June 26-29. There’s around 2km of wine stalls on offer… plenty of choice.

McBusted Tour – If Busted or McFly were not part of your childhood then I’m not sure what to say really. If they were then I’m sure you’ve heard the wonderful news that we’re all being given this fantastic opportunity of re-living our childhood. I, for one, am very excited!

Sources:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/10515662/Twenty-destinations-for-2014-in-pictures.html?frame=2775798

Bradley Deas

Nottingham

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.