This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Happy New Year Her Campus readers! If you thought last year’s movie releases were good, this year’s are looking to be even better. From sequels we’ve been waiting for now for years, to brand new releases sure to garner cult followings around the globe, here are 2018’s most hype worthy movies.

Black Panther

Releasing February 12th, Black Panther is the next installment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and follows T’Challa who we first saw hunting Bucky Barnes, the Winter Soldier, in Captain America: Civil War in 2016.

The movie begins with T’Challa returning home to take his rightful place as ruler following his father’s death, but when a powerful enemy reappears, T’Challa is tested both as king and as Black Panther as he fights against a conflict which could destroy Wakanda, as well as the world. In order to face the threat, he must call his allies to his side and unleash the full power of Black Panther upon his enemies.

Ready Player One

Based on Ernest Cline’s bestseller and directed by Steven Spielberg, Ready Player One is sure to be one of this years’ biggest movies. Set in 2045 with the world on the brink of chaos, people now find solace in an expansive VR universe known as the OASIS.

When the “game’s” creator James Halliday dies, he reveals that inside the OASIS he has hidden Easter eggs which, if found, will give their finder immense wealth. Unlikely hero Wade Watts decides to join the contest, hurling him into a dangerous, reality bending treasure hunt through the depths of the OASIS. Slated for release March 30th, Ready Player One is one to watch.

Ocean’s 8

Releasing June 8th, this much anticipated spin off of the original Ocean’s trilogy features girl power galore, starring Sandra Bullock, Anne Hathaway, Cate Blanchett, Mindy Kaling and Rihanna just to name a few.

Danny Ocean’s estranged sister, Debbie, alongside seven other female thieves attempts to pull off the heist of the century at the annual Met Gala in New York, targeting a necklace worth $150 million.

Avengers Infinity War Part 1

The second MCU release for the year, Avengers Infinity War is what Marvel fans have been gearing up for now for ten years! Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and the other Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet, Thanos, whose face has appeared in numerous post-credit scenes for a while now.

The Avengers must protect the six Infinity Stones to prevent Thanos from putting an end to the universe. With an amazing cast and superheroes everywhere, don’t miss it when it hits cinemas April 27th.

The Incredibles 2

After what feels like an eternity since the first movie (how has it been 14 years?!), The Incredibles 2 is finally coming out June 15th. Taking place immediately after the first film, Helen Parr, or Elastagirl, is off saving the world while the rest of the Parr family struggle to maintain normal lives.

Mr Incredible, or Bob Parr, meanwhile is facing his toughest challenge yet, looking after their three children. As a sinister plot and brand-new villain unveils itself, the family, alongside Frozone will have to battle to save society again.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

On July 27th, cinemas will once again be filled with the music of Abba thanks to Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, ten years after Mamma Mia!’s release. The movie goes through Donna’s young life, showing how and when she met Sophie’s three potential fathers. Sophie, who herself is now pregnant, looks to her mother’s experiences to guide her.

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

Another sequel for 2018, The Crimes of Grindelwald releases November 16th and presents the next installment in the wizarding world. Grindelwald has now been captured by MACUSA thanks to the help of Newt Scamander but, making good on his threat, escapes custody and carries on his quest to suppress all non-magical beings.

In order to thwart Grindelwald’s plans, a young Dumbledore enlists Scamander’s help. However unbeknowest to Newt, he has been brought into a battle where love and loyalty are tested in an increasingly divided wizarding world.

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!