This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

So, ‘guilty pleasure’ was the only fitting term I could think of to encompass the kind of tunes I mean here. I’m talking about those nights where one minute you’re doing the Macarena and the next, a highly theatrical duet of ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’ with one of your pals. Basically, if you want to wake up the next morning with strained vocal chords and feeling as though you’ve done a full body work out, this is the Top 5 for you.

1. Bierkeller – ‘Bierkeller AKA The Home of Guilty Pleasures’ is what this place should be called. Pretty much every night of the week has its own theme, each serving up cheese, throwbacks and guilty pleasures aplenty. Head to Thursday’s ‘Disco Inferno’ for a mix of disco classics from the 70s and 80s plus throwbacks from across the decades or spend Saturday night screaming Mr Brightside whilst chugging cocktail steins (don’t worry they don’t just serve beer!). Themed nights such as Mamma Mia and Disney bingo are also a regular occurrence so keep your eye on their Facebook page if that’s your thing!
  2. Rock City – Whether it’s a gig or Crisis, most students won’t get through freshers without having made a trip to Rock City. However, I bet not many of you will have stepped off the beaten track and into Black Cherry Lounge on a Saturday Night. Well let me tell you, you are missing out…BIG TIME! Dubbed on their website as the ‘Pop Fiction’ room, BCL promises to offer the likes of Dizzee Rascal AND David Bowie on the same playlist. Now if that doesn’t sound like the perfect way to spend a Saturday then what does? (p.s. they often have free entry if you get your name on their Facebook guest list!)
  3. The Walrus – On a much smaller scale, if you’re looking for more of a cheesy snack rather than a full-blown meal, this might be the bar for you. This place is particularly good if you have a few mates who aren’t so keen on guilty pleasures as they have 4 full size American beer (and cocktail!) pong tables meaning you can leave them playing whilst you go and get your Whitney Houston on…everyone’s Happy! You can thank me later.
  4. Pryzm – As one of the biggest clubs in Nottingham with multiple rooms of music, Pryzm is always going to cater for all tastes. Vinyl is the place for us throwback lovers so head downstairs to the Saturday Night Fever-esque dance floor and boogie the night away!
  5. Ocean – Okay, I’ve put Ocean last, not because it’s least, but because it’s probably the most obvious. My aim with this Top 5 was to introduce some different places for you to get your cheese fix but how could I not give Ocean a shout out here! As an absolute staple in most UoN students’ lives, Ocean Fridays have been delivering all your fave guilty pleasure tracks for years and, by the looks of the queue every week, aren’t going to be stopping any time soon! So, if you haven’t yet taken your first dip, make sure you grab yourself some tickets ASAP!