gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 5 Feel Good Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

A selection of great movies to pick you up when you’re feeling down!

1. Love Actually (2001)

Nine intertwined stories examine the complexities of love and its connection to each and every one of us. Among the characters explored are the newly elected Prime Minister who falls for a young junior staffer, a happily married man tempted by his attractive new secretary, a writer and his Italian maid who don’t speak each other’s language and a man who’s in love with his best friend’s wife.

Festive, funny and full of love, Love Actually is the perfect movie to give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside, especially around the holiday season. Bursting at the seams with stars like Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, Kiera Knightly, Chiwetel Ejiofor, the list goes on(!), it shows you there’s someone out there for everyone. Plus, Hugh Grant as Prime Minister dancing around Number 10? What more could you want?!

2. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Walter Mitty spends his days developing photos for Life magazine. To escape the tedium, Walter inhabits a world of daydreams where he is the hero. When an opportunity arises for him to have a real adventure will he take it and find the perfect photo for the final print issue?

A movie to fill you with wanderlust, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty will have you booking your plane tickets to explore the world. The beautiful cinematography, a lovely soundtrack and a truly uplifting storyline will fill you with happiness and make your world feel bigger.

3. School of Rock (2003)

Overly enthusiastic guitarist Dewey Finn gets sacked from his band and finds himself in need of work. Posing as a substitute teacher at an elite private school, he exposes his students to hard rock, much to the disdain of the school’s headmistress. As he shapes the youths into rock stars, he imagines redemption at the Battle of the Bands.

School of Rock is a great feel good movie, with its catchy music, ridiculously talented kids and Jack Black just trying to become a rock star, it’s genuinely hilarious!

4. Legally Blonde (2001)

Elle Woods has it all. All, that is, except a marriage proposal from Warner Huntington III. But there’s just one problem – she’s too blond. So, proving everyone wrong Elle gets into Harvard, determined to win him back.

Legally Blonde’s heroine Elle Woods will make you want to work harder and bend and snap your way to become your best self! Her hard work and dedication, as well as her cute dog, make this movie hilariously funny and totally inspiring.

5. Bridget Jones’ Diary (2001)

At the start of the New Year, Bridget decides it’s time to take control of her life and start writing a diary. With an opinion on everything from exercise to men to sex to work, she’s opening a new chapter on her life.

2001 was a great year for Hugh Grant, Colin Firth and feel good movies! The first instalment in the Bridget Jones ‘saga’, is filled with moments that’ll make you laugh until you cry, yes because they’re funny but also because she’s so relatable!

Image Sources

1

2

3

4

5

Thumbnail

Emily Talbut

Nottingham

I'm a third year English student at University of Nottingham and when I'm not working or writing, I'm probably watching a Disney movie or listening to one of their soundtracks! I'm a Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham and generally write about food, travel, and the food I've experienced on my travels!