This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

With Christmas fast approaching, Christmas covers are everywhere! At HC Notts we have picked our top five celebrity Christmas covers to get you in the Christmas spirit. These celebrities have put their own twists on these tracks and reinventing some classics. Make sure you add these to your Christmas playlist!

Last Christmas – Olly Murs

For someone whose music is typically very upbeat and cheeky, Olly Murs vocals can often be undermined, but this cover of Wham’s ‘Last Christmas’ will change the minds of any haters. By slowing this track down he really showcases his vocals. This Christmas song is a favourite for many and covering it whilst putting your own stamp on is a real challenge, but one that Olly smashes!

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – Little Mix

Little Mix are renowned for their fun and upbeat personalities, and this is showchased in their twist on Darlene Love’s ‘Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)’. But it is not just a jolly song, it also emphasises the strength of their vocals and their amazing harmonies as it is very hard to follow in the footsteps of other artists who have covered this song, such as Mariah Carey and Buble. Whilst being super talented, the girls never forget to have fun, with their entertaining moves and special guests making you smile.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town – Michael Buble and Ariana Grande

Is Christmas really Christmas without Michael Buble? The collaboration of these two wonderful artists truly brings this classic Christmas song to life. Their voices match as well as turkey and stuffing and their fun and upbeat spirits make the song even more enjoyable. Both artists originate from different generations of music which emphasises that Christmas and music can bring everyone together.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Sam Smith

Sam’s voice is always flawless and brings raw emotion to every song he creates or covers. With a more mellow tone he really makes this classic special, wearing his heart on his sleeve throughout. It is a reminder to treasure all that is good and important at Christmas, and to surrounded yourself with family and loved ones.

Silent Night – Kelly Clarkson feat. Trisha Yearwood and Reba McEntire

Not many people can recreate a Christmas carol well, but in a stripped back performance Kelly’s beautiful voice is bound to give you shivers. Carols are often forgotten but they highlight the simple beauty of this time of year. Make sure you don’t leave this raw and emotional song off your playlist!

Sources:

capitalfm.com

wordpress.com

parisladouce.com

blogspot.com

19. History Undergraduate at UoN. Lover of live music.
Immy Hibberd

Nottingham