This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Sometimes when you’re feeling a little blue there are some great little ways to cheer yourself up that you never even thought of! So if you’re going through drama with a friend or things are getting on top of you, relax and have some ‘me’ time! Here are some tips to help you bounce back that don’t require too much effort or money!

1) Buy new clothes or if you’re on a budget – look online or try on clothes you already have! Sociologists Wolfinbarger and Gilly from the California Management Review argue that online shopping puts people in a more positive mood and mention that online shopping offers “the thrill of the hunt” – they must really like their online browsing! If you already have some great stuff try it on – maybe try some different combinations and see what you can make work with a top and a skirt you already have!

2) Ditto jewellery

3) Look up tips online and style your hair

Sometimes experimenting with a new look can boost your mood! Giving yourself a little makeover can make you feel more confident after all what makes you feel better than having a new hairstyle to show off tomorrow!

4) Go for a bike ride or a run

Exercise produces endorphins which will keep you going all day!

5) Organise your wardrobe and your bedroom!

Having a bit of organisation in your life will make you feel tons better even if it is your wardrobe and not your coursework!

6) Spend the day with friends or have a cosy movie night

Sometimes you just need to talk it out with the girls. Then unwind with haribo and mean girls. There’s nothing better than a rom com to take your mind off more serious things.

7) Read a fascinating book

Getting lost in a book will distract you 100% from whatever is making you blue and you’ll feel more relaxed than you have in ages!

8) Do your homework

Doing your reading, writing 10 minutes of coursework and making a revision pack are all fantastic ways to feel more productive. You’ll be so pleased with yourself how could you not feel better?!

9) Experiment with makeup

Find a new look for a night out or just play around.

10) Eat unhealthily

This is a no brainer. Nothing cheers you up more than chocolate. Nothing.

11) Eat healthily – try a new healthy recipe

In the long run great healthy recipes are a real find. Eating healthily is really rewarding and learning to cook something new will make you feel like you’ve really accomplished something.

12) Talk it out with someone

Sometimes calling someone up on the phone or just popping round for a quick visit can help a lot. Sometimes someone outside of your problem can help you gain perspective or offer valuable advice or even just support! If you don’t want to talk about you should still go hang out with your friends. It helps you take your mind off things.

13) Have a night out

This one is great if the problem is small. If you think you’re going to burst into tears over a bottle of Malibu – don’t go. Stay in and have a girly cocktail night instead.

14) Stalk hot guys online

A little harmless stalking never hurt anyone.

15) Go for a swim – nice and relaxing

Swimming is great. Make sure to use a hair cap to protect your hair (especially if you’re blonde) and just feel happy that you’re doing a great workout.

16) Paint your nails crazy designs, pretty colours or add sparkles.

Instagram us pictures!

17) Bake cupcakes or whatever you like!

Again – unhealthy eating solves everything and you’ll feel proud of what you baked. Yum!

18) Get photos printed as Polaroids or regular ones – make a collage, decorate your room or scrapbook. It’ll show you how many great memories you have to be grateful for and cheer you up in no time!

19) Buy shoes! Or drool over them online

The higher the heel the better!

20) Have a good old hot chocolate, hot bath and relax. Remember that whatever’s getting you down will get better. Chin up!

Comment below or Tweet us! Even better Instagram us a picture of what makes you happy #behappy  

Twitter: @hcnottingham

Instagram: @hc_nottingham

Or post us a pic to our Facebook page!