Tom Burke: SU Activities Officer Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Her Campus Nottingham met up with Tom Burke, a 3rd year History student running for the position of Activities Officer. 

Hey Tom! What made you want to run for the role of Activities?

As somebody who’s really enjoyed the extra-curricular side to being at university, and has taken an active role in a number of societies I wanted to do something to make sure that everybody, regardless of their circumstances, is able to enjoy societies as much as I have.

Why do you think the activities role is important?

I think the activities role is important because societies and student run services are an incredibly important part of student life. Making sure that all our societies and student run services are properly funded, resourced and trained to deal with whatever needs their members have is a fundamentally vital requirement of a Students Union, and that’s what I believe makes the Activities role so important.

What’s the best/your favourite part of your manifesto

My favourite part of my manifesto are my policies regarding assisting societies in their activities, so that includes improving the funding system to make SU money more accessible for societies, or even something as simple as doing more to promote the work our societies do. 

What part do you think will be the most difficult to implement? 

I think the hardest part of my manifesto to implement will be the commitment to having all societies including an Equal Opportunities and Welfare officer on their executive committee, as I know how difficult to change the constitutions of societies to include more officers, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Is there anything we should be looking out for during your campaign?

If there’s anything to look out for it will be the fantastic team of students who have volunteered their time at this busy time of year to help me get my message across and hopefully win the election.

Are you aiming to make small changes or focus on big changes if you were to get the role?

My overall aim is to transform the culture of our campus in general to make it more inclusive and accessible to everybody, but these big changes have to be based on small, reasonable and practical changes we can make across our SU.

Anything you’d like to add?

If you have anything else to ask me, feel free to get in touch over Facebook at my campaign page, Tom Burke For Activities

QUICKFIRE ROUND

Ocean- yay or nay? Yay 

VKs or Jagerbombs? Jagerbombs.

Pizza or pasta? Pizza, gotta love Milano’s! 

Dream job? TV presenter. 

What’s your personal miracle hangover cure? Fried egg sandwich and a cuppa tea. 

Cats or dogs? Cats 

If you went on the TV show Mastermind, what would your specialist subject be? The Labour Party 

Hallward or George Green? Hallward, but they need to sort out the air-con in there.

Thank you for your time Tom- we wish you the best of luck with your campaign!