oscar 3679610 1920?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
oscar 3679610 1920?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

The Movies You Need To See Before The 2024 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The 2024 Oscars are in just under two weeks’ time so the binge watching must begin! If you’re like me and love keeping up to date with the film world but struggle to watch them all, this list is perfect for you. I have compiled a list of my must-see movies this year, all of which are nominated for Best Picture. From Greta Gerwig’s pink and pretty Barbie to Scorsese’s sobering portrayal of indigenous plight, these are my personal recommendations of what is worth watching from this year’s lineup of nominations. And hey, even if you have no interest in the award show but are just looking for a great movie to watch tonight, one of these will definitely be for you! 

Killers of the Flower Moon

If you watch any movie from this list, it should be this one. Telling the story of the Osage murders in the 1920s, the film contemplates the harrowing dichotomies of greed and compassion, monstrosity, and love, in a time of violent oppression against Indigenous Americans. The star of the show amongst a star-studded cast is Lily Gladstone, who delivers one of the most powerful performances as Mollie Burkhart. Killers of the Flower Moon is a true masterpiece.

Past Lives

My personal favourite from the bunch, Past Lives will rip you apart into a million little pieces from the first scene. The story features two childhood friends reuniting for one week in New York City, and we follow them as they confront questions of their own love, destiny, and second chances. Based loosely on director Celine Song’s own experiences of love, Past Lives is one huge “what if? and it’s absolutely heartbreaking. 

Barbie / Oppenheimer

If you haven’t seen Barbie or Oppenheimer, where have you been? It’s time to be free of the rock you’ve been living under and finally watch the two movies that defined the summer of 2023. I recommend the binge-watch method: watching them back-to-back for the ultimate Barbenheimer experience!

Poor Things

The most experimental of the bunch, Poor Things has been described by one Letterboxd user as “Barbie but for the mentally ill”. The movie follows Emma Stone’s Bella, a young woman brought back to life with the brain of a child in place of her own. She embarks on a journey of self-discovery, tainted by the exploitation brought upon her by the men in her life. I loved Poor Things – it’s an unbelievably thoughtful and funny film, and I highly recommend it.

The Holdovers

Imagine a reality where Dead Poets Society meets Home Alone, and you’ve got The Holdovers. Set in a boarding school in the 1970s, a cranky history teacher is left alone with the school’s head chef and a trouble-making teenager over Christmas break. The film is charming, warm, and loving. It’s an authentically moving slice of life about the joy of finding family and community in times when you least expect, but need it most. 

Now go grab your favourite snacks, and a complimentary drink, and treat yourself to a movie night in! If you’re feeling friendly you might want to invite your housemates to join you, or if you’re in need of some down time, good luck on sneaking the Ben & Jerry’s past them!

Eve Georgiou

Nottingham '26

Eve Georgiou is a writer at the Nottingham chapter of Her Campus. Her interests lie in all things pop culture and the entertainment industry, from music, film and tv to internet phenomena. She is currently in her second year at the University of Nottingham, studying English and Philosophy. In her free time, she can either be found with a good book, spending time with her friends and family, or at a concert.