Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation: Generation Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.
We’re all guilty of some of the traits of the ‘Generation Me.’ Millennials – those born after 1st January 1982 – have been thought to possess a sense of entitlement and selfishness, valuing wealth and self-image over things like community, generosity and the environment. The self-absorption is said to have emerged innocently from childhood, where we were raised to believe we were the most important person in our lives, and lead to believe we can be anything that we want due to a grandiose view of our talents. This can lead to a kind of egotistical haze which can be perpetuated throughout adulthood if we don’t gain a wider sense of perspective.

On a brighter note, as we progress to university this sense of self-importance is more likely to reduce than persist. A wider sense of perspective of the world at university makes for a greater consideration and sense of self-awareness. Identifying some characteristics of ‘Generation Me’, or introspecting into of your daily habits can shine a glimmer of hope! But that isn’t to say your faith in humanity will be in tact by the end of this…
  • Being selfless without people knowing is inconceivable these days, because of course if it’s not on Facebook, it didn’t happen. If you do something great that is selfless, then that should be fulfilling enough. Don’t scream it from the roof tops!
  • The stubborn view that our opinion holds importance is another symptom of the ‘Me Generation’. Take the opportunity to listen to others who have opposing views – listen to other people when they talk, engage in current affairs and see beyond your own problems!
  • The obsession with presenting ourselves leads me on to my next appropriate meme. You begin to care more about your ideological social media presence than some of your real aspirations.
  • Stop. Taking. Selfies. Seriously, such narcissism becomes an issue when witnessing selfies in every lecture becomes a daily occurrence. I’ve even had the privilege to find someone scrolling through their own profile pictures of selfies in the middle of a seminar. Jokes aside, an unhealthy relationship with your image can really blind you from the important things in life.
  • To live happier and more fulfilled, one of the most immediate routes to happiness is through someone else. You need to have the desire to be selfless, but if you come to the decision to make others feel good you won’t regret it!

First year International Media and Communications student at the University of Nottingham and Features writer for Her Campus! 
Naomi Upton

Nottingham

Naomi is a third year English student at Nottingham University and Co-Editor in Chief of HC Nottingham. Naomi would love a career in journalism or marketing but for now she spends her time beauty blogging, attempting to master the delicate art of Pinterest, being an all-black-outfit aficionado, wasting time on Buzzfeed, going places, taking pictures and staying groovy.