This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

Whilst this film is not the most recent, or perhaps not the most talked about, it is definitely one that should be seen. You’ll no doubt be left feeling uplifted, just at the very fact that a story as unique as this is actually true. Tag is that rare thing since the film Last Vegas, comparative for its theme of long term friendship between life long friends (just with a few less clichéd elements).

Most of us will have that every now and then feeling of just wanting to spend a chilled night in enjoying an average movie with good company. That feel good film that you know will include subjects that are not there to be taken seriously, nowadays, seems pretty rare. Not often can I find the balance, for example, of a film that has light- hearted humour where sexual references and constant bad language is added just to keep the story going. So, get ready to feel refreshed with this one of a kind comedy.

Based on a true story, the film follows the lives of five friends all of whom have known each other since childhood. To ensure they remain in contact as they get older and life moves on, they make a pact (as teens) that no matter where they are in their lives or what they are doing, they will always find each other by playing an annual, classic childhood nostalgic game of tag. And when I mean no matter what, I literally mean no matter what. 

Perhaps the best scene in the film is early on, as Ed Helms’ character visits his friend- Jon Hamm’s- office. Along with some witty banter, Helm’s begins the game, literally in the middle of Hamm’s job interview. The act immediately proves that the friends were not embarrassed by their childish game to be seen in public by all the typical adults. With a few testing’s of friendship along the way (the groups aim to tag their fifth friend- Jeremy Renner- who apparently has never been tagged before) the film keeps you on your toes and ultimately shows that, with an effort, no friendship ever has to end. You’ve just got to ensure it doesn’t.  The cast were simply superb in their roles, Helms already known for his comic characters (in the much loved American The Office, 2005-2012, then rising to international fame in the Hangover series) as well as Hamm (Mad Men, 2007 and Bridesmaids 2012) who has already cemented his A list actor status. Alongside the great Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker) there is Jake Johnson, Annabelle Wallis and the comedy woman Isla Fischer (Confessions of a Shopaholic, 2009).  With sentimental and laugh out loud moments, this one of a kind movie will leave you feeling warm and with a smile on your face. There is no doubt that you will wish (if you don’t already have it) that you have a friendship group like theirs.

9/10

Olivia is a third year English with Hispanic Studies student at the University of Nottingham. She enjoys playing team sports and doing anything performance related: up for going to the karaoke bar all day every day. Her ambition is to travel the world as much as she can. She is a reviewer for HerCampus Nottingham magazine.