This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The gym can be a great place to exercise and feel empowered. However, it can be very intimidating and overwhelming, as I have personally experienced. Getting over the hurdle of gym anxiety can be challenging and understandably make you feel insecure initially entering this environment. With these tips and tricks, you can become more confident to make the most out of the gym!

Nobody is watching!

This is much easier said than done, but when you have the mentality that no one is watching, it will help you feel much more relaxed in the gym. And the truth is, no one is managing your entire gym routine, and especially not judging! I used to have the mentality that I needed to do a specific number of sets and could only focus on a particular area, such as glutes, or people would think I wouldn’t know what I was doing. It’s okay if you want a more mellow routine and do fewer reps (repetitions) and sets (amounts of each exercise). It’s only our own insecurities surfacing when we feel self-conscious. If you mess up, like dropping a weight or feeling like you’re doing an exercise wrong, that is okay; it is all about learning. People are definitely not watching to see if you’re lifting lighter weights. If anything, they will be proud of you for getting into the gym and giving it a go – they were all there once!

Listen to Music

Listening to music while working out in the gym is a popular choice for many, but the type of music you choose is crucial. Our music of choice can profoundly affect how we perceive our bodies and ultimately help us feel more positive. Spotify is an excellent resource for finding suitable playlists, such as the ‘Hype Energy Gym Playlist’ or the ‘Hot Girl Treadmill Playlist’. Additionally, investing in a good pair of headphones can help alleviate anxiety about working out in public. By blocking out external noise, you can focus more on yourself and feel less influenced by your surroundings.

Cute gym fits and baggy Tees.

The choice of clothes you wear might depend on your mood. Investing in cute gym clothes can make you feel more confident and put together. Some of the best places to buy gym clothes include Gymshark, Abyl, Tala, Nike, Lululemon, and Sweaty Betty. However, check out sites like Depop and Vinted for cheaper options with a tighter budget. When lacking confidence, choose comfortable clothing over something tight and bright. You must listen to your body and give it what it needs.

Be Confident

You should always have your head held up high, radiating confidence. Ultimately, confidence comes not from how you look or what you wear, but from within. Your phone can become an easy way to hide in the gym, by looking down and detaching yourself from your environment. Avoiding going on your phone in the gym allows you to be in the present moment and gradually feel more comfortable in your environment. Also, don’t let entering the weight area frighten you! It used to be dominated by men but now it’s open to everyone. Grab a bench, lift as much weight as you wish, and remain for however long. There is no such thing as too much confidence!

Have fun!

Taking time out of your busy schedule is essential to truly enjoy the space and take a break from work. One great way to view the gym is to treat it like a playground and have fun while you’re there. Instead of focusing only on the physical benefits, you should also consider the mental and emotional benefits of working out, such as releasing endorphins and boosting your mood. Establishing a routine and making going to the gym a part of your desired lifestyle is essential. You shouldn’t pressure yourself to see results in a week or two, instead try focusing on why you go to the gym. As you work out over a longer time frame, your body will gradually become a product of your efforts. You shouldn’t let your focus on your body become all-consuming, to the point where you feel pressure to restrict your food intake or skip social outings. It’s crucial to maintain a healthy balance and avoid letting any short-term goals negatively impact your overall well-being.

Kate Hayhurst

Nottingham '24

Kate is the Head of Reviews at the Nottingham Her Campus, where she is the first point of contact for anyone seeking help writing reviews and collaborates with outside projects and companies for reviews. Her interests are in lifestyle and entertainment. She is currently a final-year student at the University of Nottingham. In her free time, she plays netball, leads a charity combating Period Poverty, engages with creativity and always drinks iced coffee.