Wellness > Mental Health

Suicide and The Media: Why The Narrative Needs To Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

TW // This article discusses topics, including suicide, that may be sensitive to some readers.

The past two weeks have been overrun by talks of how suicide is handled both in the media and in the wider world. During Harry and Meghan’s interview with Oprah Winfrey on Monday 8th March 2021, viewers were shocked to discover that she contemplated suicide, stating, ‘I just didn’t want to be alive anymore.’ In reaction to this statement, ITV’s Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan commented: “I don’t believe a word she said”. Morgan’s remarks provoked an enormous backlash from viewers and members of the public and resulted in 41,000 complaints about the presenter and ultimately resulted in his departure from the morning talk show. 

This episode of Good Morning Britain reflects an issue that has been present for a long time in British media, which is the notion that suicide is tragic, but that suicidal thoughts/claims are manipulative. There have been too many occasions when the media has labelled those who come forward as ‘attentions seekers’, looking for a reaction. Only too recently did ITV’s own Caroline Flack take her life after being subject to a myriad of online abuse and workplace misconduct. At the time, ITV released a statement to say that they were ‘shocked and saddened by this desperately sad news.’ However, they have gone on to give individuals like Piers Morgan, a platform through which he has been able to shame Meghan Markle for her mental health struggles.

While I acknowledge that official and progressive change has been made by Morgan’s exit from the television show, it is important to discuss the broader issue at hand in this situation: questioning the validity of suicidal claims. Morgan’s comments echo that of a larger dialogue that is circulating in society which misinterprets suicidal thoughts or statements as ‘attention seeking’ or chooses not to believe an individual’s claims. Such misconceptions about suicide can, and often do, result in further damage to mental health for those who are suffering from suicidal thoughts. These harmful labels and beliefs undermine individuals’ feelings and emotions and can cause them to feel isolated, misunderstood, and may push them further into their suicidal state. Self-harm or suicidal thoughts are signs that a person is distressed and needs help, not that a person is being manipulative or is ‘attention seeking’. Telling someone about these thoughts and feelings is a huge and daunting step for individuals. Therefore, it is an admission that should be carefully listened to without being judged or undermined.  

The current Covid-19 pandemic has further propelled the country into a mental health crisis. Mind.org’s study found that 60% of adults and 68% of young people have reported that their mental health has worsened during lockdown. This is just one of many studies that have shown similar findings, highlighting the immense issue at hand surrounding mental health in the UK. This is a time when we should be more understanding than ever about mental health, not tearing people down by claiming that they do not actually have these issues. When individuals such as Piers Morgan undermine these statements, it reflects a society that is still not empathetic towards those suffering and a society that pushes people further towards suicide. Moving forward from this previous week’s events, I hope that readers can learn the important skills of empathy and acceptance. And apply this to their personal lives and their interactions with friends and family who may have similar feelings and thoughts to Meghan Markle. 

Lucy Tombs

Nottingham '21

I am a final year English & American Studies student at the University of Nottingham. I am a blogger for Her Campus, specialising in Wellbeing and Lifestyle!