Spring/Summer 2014: High End to High Street

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

The fashion season is upon us! As London Fashion Week draws to a close, take a sneak peek at some of the hottest trends on the catwalk, and check out some of the high-street dupes that you can get for a fraction of the price so you’re bang on trend for Spring/Summer 2014.

Loud and Proud

Letting your shirt do the talking is in for the upcoming summer months, with slogan t-shirts dominating the runways. This Parental Advisory jumper by Alexander Wang, was a personal favourite.

High Street

Primark offers a very convincing double of the Alexander Wang jumper for a fraction of the price, and also offers the slogan on a t-shirt for only £10. 

If fizzy drink taglines are more up your street, Topshop are offering a more understated version of Ashish’s glittery ‘Enjoy Coke’ vests.

The shirt shown here is £22, but Topshop offers the same slogan on a maroon jumper for an extra £8 if you want some extra warmth against the bitter Nottingham cold.

Moving away from the conventional high-street, loads of online websites offer some kitsch slogan t-shirts for you to wear emblazoned on your chest, such as this example of the Word of 2013 found on Zazzle.

Many of these websites allow you to customise your shirt before you buy, so you can tailor-make your slogan tee to perfection

Hip to be Square

With tartan being relegated until Autumn/Winter, checkerboard patterns are another must-have style to fill up your wardrobes with this season. Some may feel that these gingham prints are reminiscent of primary school summer dresses; counter this by choosing bigger and bolder prints for a more adult feel, as seen at Balmain.

High Street

If you want a traditional checked shirt with a twist, then check this offering from Zara. The plain white collar and cuffs give it a demure yet smart feel, but can be made more casual if teamed with a pair of black shorts, as seen on the model here.

Pull and Bear, renowned for their androgynous style, offers an edgier take on the fairly girly pattern, as seen in the oversize blue shirt available from ASOS. In keeping with Balmain’s big check print, Pull and Bear also utilises another hot trend for this season through its use of pastel blue.

Topshop however, have mimicked the smart black check patterns that were seen at Oscar de la Renta and gave it more of a street edge, as seen in these gingham jeans.

Keepin’ it Teal

Whilst pastel patterns may be predominant, teal is also trending this season. The warm blue and green tones flatter everyone’s skin tone, and can look effortless and chic at the same time, as seen here with Versace.

High Street

Teal has always been a popular colour, so luckily there’s a fair bit of variety on the high street. This maxi dress by Club L is on sale at Asos for £20 – its black panelling will give the illusion of a smaller waist and a more hourglass figure.

This teal prom dress at New Look is also in the sale and has been reduced to £24. Its adjustable straps mean that the dress can be worn in several different ways – perfect for the summer awards and ceremonial seasons.

Edited by Luisa Parnell

I am a third year (eek!) English student at the University of Nottingham. When I'm not blogging from behind my laptop, you will find me reading, writing and being your general English Lit student.
Sam is a Third Year at the University of Nottingham, England and Campus Correspondent for HC Nottingham. She is studying English and would love a career in journalism or marketing (to name two very broad industries). But for now, her favourite pastimes include nightclubs, ebay, cooking, reading, hunting down new music, watching thought-provoking films, chatting, and attempting to find a sport/workout regime that she enjoys!