Spring 2014 Campus Trends: Catwalk to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Nottingham chapter.

This week I’m putting down my camera phone and giving you a glance at some of the fashion trends that you ladies seem to be loving on campus. Surprise, surprise they are all bang on trend for this spring – you are a stylish bunch! Whether you’ve seen someone wearing it, or you may own the item yourself, all of these fashion pieces have come straight off the catwalk and straight onto the high street.

1. A firm uni fav is the green khaki jacket, but why not spruce up your wardrobe with the ever-popular sport luxe trend? There’s one piece from the runway that will take you from those windy mornings to the rare warm afternoons – and that’s the bomber jacket. From Marc Jacobs to Tommy Hilfiger, the bomber jacket has been given a modern update this season. I’ve seen many black/navy bombers on campus like this Topshop piece, and I think if you chuck a hoodie underneath you can be trendy and prepared for any temperature.

Topshop, £55 (check out the floral equivalent too!)

1. Christopher Kane, Alexander Wang and Moschino were all rocking the slogan t-shirt trend on the catwalk. You probably own one, I sure do, try pairing the t-shirt with patterned trousers (another Spring trend) or for a more casual look, jeans or a skater skirt.

ASOS, £16

1. Check, gingham and tartan are still big favorites on campus – from bags to scarfs – I’ve seen some subtle hints of this big autumn/spring trend. Be more playful with the print! New Look combines the floral trend with a casual checked blouse – a perfect mix of feminine and formal.

New Look, £14.99

1. Sadly for us, our student loan can’t stretch enough to pick up Burberry’s sheer dresses. What would we do without good ol’ Primark? Here you can pick up a Burberry inspired midi (another trend to look out for!). New in-store, this white polka-dot dress looks much more expensive than it actually is.

Primark, £20 – pair with neon or metallic flats!

1. Trainers – from Superga to New Balance, casual footwear is definitely a popular choice on campus, wear with the bomber jacket previously shown, to look effortlessly put together. I love these neon Nike Free 5.0 Green Trainers, they would look fab with a monochrome outfit, and make a change from the black Nike trainers. 

ASOS, £85, Nike Free 5.0 Green Trainers

Do you think you’re stylish enough to feature on our Campus Style Blog? Look out for Jo on campus with her camera!

Sheetal studied History at the University of Nottingham and was Campus Correspondent during her final year, before graduating in July 2014. She is currently jumping between jobs, whilst still writing for HC in her spare time. She may or may not be some of these things: foodie, book addict, world traveller (crazy dreamer!), lover of cheese, Australian immigrant, self-proclaimed photographer, wannabe dancer, tree hugger, lipstick ruiner, curly-haired and curious. She hopes for world peace and dreams that someday, cake will not make you fat.